Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectangle objects & Time based charts

Hi,
    I have a 30 & 405 min ES chart, and manually draw rectangle objects on both. Now I have experienced inconsistencies on the two charts when applying the objects.

If I draw a rectangle on the 3min chart, it fails to extend to the settings I prescribe. For example, if I draw a rectangle starting at market open time today and extend it to close (either today's close or tomorrow time), the rectangle defaults to its own 'end' time. However, if I did the same on the 405 min chart, all works as I expect to. Why the difference?

To overcome the issue, I change the 30 min time frame to 405 min and draw the rectangles, then change the time frame back to 30min. But I do not want to be doing this all the time.

Please advice.

K

Hi kashter,

Thank you for your post.

On the 30 minute chart after applying the object can you please then open the properties by highlighting the object and then select Properties. In the ensuing window can you please make note of the Data tab's settings.

Then on the 405 chart please view the rectangle and view the Data tab and compare the values.

If you reverse the process and apply the object to the 405 chart and then view on the 30 minute chart can you please clarify the values that are showing in each instance and if they correspond.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan,
      Was going to do what you asked but here is a big issue first: I manually placed a rectangle object on the 30 min and had the End Time as 3:30PM and the following error shows up - see images. Yet the 405 min has no issues extending objects into the future.

K
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi kashter,

Which Session Template are using on the 30 minute chart because in testing this issue I receive the same message when setting the end time of the drawing object to a value that would exceed today's session template since it would technically place the object on the next session.

Comment

Ryan,
          The NT instrument default, "<use instrument settings>". It is the same session setting on both charts as I only change the timeframe to effect the changes I need.

K

Comment

Hi kashter,

In testing this issue further that message is expected based on the Session Template that is applied, and it did not matter when using a 30 minute or 405 minute chart because when I tried to apply a rectangle beyond the current day's Session Template I am unable to do so based on this message.

The ES contract uses the CME US Index Futures ETH template which Ends at 3:15 CDT. If on your chart you set the End time to be today's date and you local time at 3:15 CDT can you please clarify if you are able to add the object to both the 30 and 405 minute chart to the end of the session.

Comment

Ryan,
              I thought I have already stated that drawing the rectangle on the 405 into the future works, its just the 30 min that throws the exception.

Comment

kashter,

You had mentioned that, but in testing this issue that message is expected based on the session template and so it working on the 405 minute chart would be an item to resolve since that is not expected behavior.

Can you please send an email to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and please reference this thread, and put ATTN Ryan O, and a number where I can contact you as I would like to offer the ability to remotely assist.

Comment

Ryan,
                  Sorry but I think either I am not reading you right or you are misinformed about drawing objects. For example, from what you are saying, I should not be able to draw objects into the future using the <use instrument setting>? That is exactly what I do on all my charts, and this is built in into NT7! Not being able to draw the rectangle into the future on the 30min is an issue that needs resolving. I am confused by your response.

Sorry will not email as this is not an issue if I could draw into the future. We have opposite understanding of NT7's drawing attributes. Guess will have to live with this!

K

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
                  kashter,

You had mentioned that, but in testing this issue that message is expected based on the session template and so it working on the 405 minute chart would be an item to resolve since that is not expected behavior.

Comment

kashter,

It's possible to extend drawing objects forward into time but not beyond the current day's Session.

If your chart is <Use Instrument Settings> as the Session Template then for the ES this would mean that a session ends at 3:15 CDT and that it would not be possible to extend the rectangle forward past the current session end time as defined in the template.

So at the beginning of the day you would be able to extend the rectangle to the end of the current day's session for today's date.

So, as I understood what you are seeing and what I am seeing is different but I am not entirely sure where that difference occurs which is the source of my offer to remotely assist.

Comment

I have the same problem with drawing a rectangle and it drives me crazy. I draw a rectange on the TF 133 tick chart trying to extend the end time to the market close. It says this in my end data field. Yet the box will not extend to this time and instead stops 30 minutes later. I have to go into the data field again and trick it into accepting the end data info again. It'll extend then stop 30 minutes later. It's distracting and affects my trading. I'm trying to map out a value area for the day. Is this a Ninja bug?

Comment

Hi ozbusurfer,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum.

If you navigate on the chart to the end time in the future and then draw the rectangle from the furthest out time accessible on the chart can you please clarify what the data values are and clarify what you mean by tricking the application.

Comment

Drawing a rectangle

Hi ozbusurfer,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forum.

If you navigate on the chart to the end time in the future and then draw the rectangle from the furthest out time accessible on the chart can you please clarify what the data values are and clarify what you mean by tricking the application.
                          Hi Ryan,

Thank you for asking. I am using 7.01000.4.

When I draw a rectangle with the drawing tool. I need to have it up the whole trading day. On the 133 tick chart I use for the TF. The chart only allows me to 3 minutes into the future. But I click into the properties window of the box and bring up the data fields. There I set my start time to before market open and my end time to after market close with the appropriate value area point settings. The box will appear in the chart but it will not follow the timeline of the day. It ends or stops after a few minutes. So I have to open the data box again and reset the end time. Move up an hour. Down an hour. "Trick" the application into thinking I set a new end time so the rectangle extends into the future. But then it stops again. and over and over and over and over.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Hi ozbusurfer,

Thank you for that clarification.

When applying values in the Data field of the parameters for the object you will be limited to the end time of the session, but in applying the object to the chart you can bypass this by taking the following steps with this object.

Objects with less than two anchor points can disappear while scrolling when either anchor point is far away from the display range. It is possible to have both anchors off the visible range, but still have the object and as you scroll a little bit then to have the line disappear despite both anchors still being outside the visible range.

Now, this applies somewhat as well to what times are available on the chart, and you can navigate forward in time on the chart by left-clicking and then moving your mouse to the right. This will take the chart to a point in time that is limited by the latest bar. There will always be one bar on the chart when scrolling forward in time.

So if wish to apply an object to the chart at a given time you can use the navigation features of the x-axis to scroll to the time where you will establish the object.

In navigating the chart when you see the anchor point for the rectangle to draw you can then establish that point and then move the chart to the current time where the object should be, and thus you do not need to modify the time of the object, and then change the time of the object.

Comment

Question again . . .

Hi ozbusurfer,

Thank you for that clarification.

When applying values in the Data field of the parameters for the object you will be limited to the end time of the session, but in applying the object to the chart you can bypass this by taking the following steps with this object.

Objects with less than two anchor points can disappear while scrolling when either anchor point is far away from the display range. It is possible to have both anchors off the visible range, but still have the object and as you scroll a little bit then to have the line disappear despite both anchors still being outside the visible range.

Now, this applies somewhat as well to what times are available on the chart, and you can navigate forward in time on the chart by left-clicking and then moving your mouse to the right. This will take the chart to a point in time that is limited by the latest bar. There will always be one bar on the chart when scrolling forward in time.

So if wish to apply an object to the chart at a given time you can use the navigation features of the x-axis to scroll to the time where you will establish the object.

In navigating the chart when you see the anchor point for the rectangle to draw you can then establish that point and then move the chart to the current time where the object should be, and thus you do not need to modify the time of the object, and then change the time of the object.
                              Hi Ryan,

Thanks for responding.

I was a little confused about a couple things.

First. The rectangle has 2 anchor points. You said less than 2.

2nd. I tried left clicking the mouse to get to the end of the session for me this would be 1500 CST. I was only able to advance to 1413 from a current time of 1400.

How can I advance further in this chart to the end of the trading day to establish my rectangle? Thank you sir

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                              12 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DrakeiJosh  
                              Started by cre8able, 02-11-2023, 05:43 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rhubear