Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BarsInProgress and SetStopLoss

Dear Support:

I'm having difficulty determining how to set the BarsInProgress index for my setstoploss, and setprofittarget.

Unlike for ExitShort and ExitLong, the NT7 help doesn't show that I can specify a barsinprogress index for setstoploss and setprofittarget.

Could I accomplish this by ....
    Say I'm on 60min MSFT and have added AAPL in initialize. I've got a position in MSFT and I want to exit using a stoploss that tracks AAPL price would this work when setting my stop:

if (BarsInProgress==1 //&& other sensible conditions)
    {
    SetStopLoss(blah blah $1 lower);
    }

Would that stop then exit MSFT position if AAPL price hits the stop i define?

Thanks!

Hello Entropy,

Welcome to the NinjaTrader forums! Set stop loss doesn't have a BarsInProgress input, but I don't think you need one in this case. Check BIP = 1 if you want to make adjustment based on AAPL prices, and then set the price to the new level. Set statements will be applied to either all entries or a specific entry, depending on whether you specify a fromEntrySignal parameter.
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ryan!

Just to be sure I understand ...

So if I make sure that BIP==1 when setstoploss is called, then that stoploss will track AAPL prices (however added in initialize) and if the aapl price triggers the stop as i've set it in that specific call while BIP==1, the MSFT position will close (assuming parameters to close whole position)?

Comment

Yes, when you check BIP ==1, then you're filtering updates for the first added series (APPL, in your example). So the values you're checking for will be AAPL, but you can still make changes here to the stop loss level for orders submitted to Microsoft.

Submitting exit statements works differently though since they will look to pair an entry that was placed in a different BIP. You have to use the Exit overload that allows submission to a specific BIP.

ExitLong(int barsInProgressIndex, int quantity, string signalName, string fromEntrySignal)
        Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post algospoke  
        Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
        3 responses
        0 likes