Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Requests: (1) Chart image format used when saving, and (2) Image "Copy" to clipboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requests: (1) Chart image format used when saving, and (2) Image "Copy" to clipboard

I would like to suggest that you change the format you use to save chart images. You use JPEG, which is good for some cases, but being a lossy format, it introduces fuzziness around chart bars. Showing clear bars is probably the major requirement for viewing a chart image, and unfortunately in this respect the NT JPEG images are not "up to snuff."

See the attached pictures. The first is the NT-saved image, called "NTJPEG", and it's 185K in size. The second I captured with my usual method, the Windows 7 "snipping tool," which saves in a PNG format. It is 134K in size.

To aid in showing the distortion created by the lossy JPEG compression, I have included two zoomed-in versions of each image, NTJPEG-ZOOM, and NTPNG-ZOOM, each captured in PNG format. Notice that the JPEG blurs the lines between the bars when zoomed in, whereas the PNG does not. You can obviously see this without zooming in but the zoomed-in version is a quick way to see it. Just looking at the full size images on your screen, you can likely notice the difference immediately.

So the PNG is almost 30% smaller, and is a better quality. To me it's a no-brainer. In addition, many people mark up pictures with other programs after saving them, and as PNGs are lossless, they can be saved and re-saved over and over with no loss in quality, so it's perfect for using as a canvas for additional editing as many chartists do.

For suggestion #2: please add a "Copy to Clipboard" and a "Copy Selection to Clipboard" under Image-> in addition to Email, Save As, and Print. For the "Copy Selection" menu item, the tool could be exactly like the "zoom" tool except that it copies the selection to the clipboard instead of the whole chart. Just like the Windows Snipping tool.

Many traders use skype, twitter, and other interaction tools, and often all I want to do is share a chart (or part of a chart) quickly. Just doing a quick copy and paste into my other application like skype would be quite convenient.
    Attached Files

nt allows you to save a pic in png format. right click on the chart, in the context menu go to Image>Save Image and in the save dialog choose Png format (the defult is jpg, gif and bmp are also available) in the save as type drop down menu.

ofcourse with Ninjascript the possibilities are unlimited. uploading to say twitter/twitphoto can be done very easily.

Comment

Thanks, I did not even notice this option!

I would still like to suggest the "Copy to clipboard" menu item however!

Comment

just make good use of NinjaScript

Comment

Of course, yes--in fact my solution (snipping tool) is quite fast and I like it a lot. My goal in posting this suggestion is to improve the NT product, not just to make it work for me, but so others can have useful features, bug fixes, etc...

Comment

Hello,

I will submit this suggestion into development.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

Hello,

Development has received this and given it suggestion tracking number 976. Thank you for submitting this and bringing this to my attention.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshDance View Post
                Thanks, I did not even notice this option!

I would still like to suggest the "Copy to clipboard" menu item however!
                Why not use the windows shortcut command?

Either print screen capture to clipboard, or window capture to clipboard.

That way they can work on other important fixes than chase down something that can be done with windows just as easily?

Comment

Yeah I didn't mean this to be a priority #1, just an idea.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                  10 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post jeronymite  
                  Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post ghoul