Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculator

Hi All,

I've used your in-built strategy designer (I can't remember the name of it but it is easy to use for people like me who have no programming skills) and really like it as it is easy an intuitive.

I want to be able to make calculations so I can set my opening limits order on. For example, let's say I want to calculate the volatility for 20-days worth of price movements and mark my orders based-upon these figures. Can this be done?

Thanks,

Z

Hi Zhorny, so you were using the Strategy Wizard then - how would you calculate your 20 day volatility then? What you could do as well is using the inbuild Bollinger Bands / Keltners as based for your order entry price to provide a dynamic breakout channel so to speak.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Bertrand. I see where you're coming from but what if I have a completely unique calculation, which isn't captured by any current indicator?

Let's say for example (and this is very very very simple example with simple calculations): I have a CLOSE[0] so I want to set my order on the following calculation:

(CLOSE[0] + 20) - (55 * CLOSE[1]) + (HIGH[5] / 62)

NB: the real numbers indicated in the above calculation would be contract specific tick values so if I'm trading GBPUSD and the current price is 1.6200 and I subtract 20 ticks I'd get 1.6180.....but this is arbitrary - it is more of a case to see if a calculation like this would work.
      Last edited by Zhorny; 05-16-2011, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, then you would need to custom code an indicator that would generate those volatility based levels according to your calculations and then later on call this new indicator in your strategy.

The above tutorials can help greatly to get started into custom coding scripts, if you would like to get this study created professionally for you, please check for example this range of available consultants out :

Comment

Ok thanks. I guess I'll need to learn C#!
          Are there any plans for intregrating this within the Strategy Wizard?

Comment

Sure, we're always looking for ways and ideas to further enhance NinjaTrader and our wizard interfaces, but dealing with custom ideas / code opens up a very diverse world of options and finetuning needs so there are 'natural' limits as to what a 'point and click' interface can do I feel.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Kaledus, Today, 01:29 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse  
            Started by frankthearm, Yesterday, 09:08 AM
            13 responses
            0 likes