Session template hours not loading properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Session template hours not loading properly

I’m having a problem opening charts with proper RTH hours. Here’s the situation:

I have NT7 installed on two computers. On one computer, under Data Series, the
    session template is set to <Use Instrument Settings> and this always loads the correct RTH hours for the instruments I follow, including instruments with different RTH starting times (such as 6E and ES). On the other computer, however, those settings invariably will load every instrument (again, 6E and ES, for instance) with 24 hour charts (what you typically see if your session template is set to 24/7). Why is this? How can I get NT7 to load the RTH hours for every instrument I open, by simply setting the session template is set to <Use Instrument Settings> rather than having to select the RTH hours for each particular instrument and exchange? Thanks.

Hello known,

Thank you for post.

You will need to save the desired session template in a chart template to be loaded when creating a new chart.

Please see our Help Guide article on Chart Templates for more information:

Edit: In addition, you can see the desired "Instrument Setting" by going to Tools--> Instrument Manager--> locate the instrument and select "edit".

From the Instrument Editor, you will find the "Session Template" option which you can set to RTH. Then any chart with "use instrument settings" will pull from this field.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I know I can edit the instrument session template in the instrument settings for each individual instrument. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to set all instruments to their RTH hours, in their respective exchanges, and to have those load as such when the session template is set to <Use Instrument Settings>? Why for instance, on one installation of NT7, do all instruments load RTH hours by default on that setting, and in this case, load ETH hours by default on that setting? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Hello,

Yes, would be possible to configure this in the instrument settings. You'd have to repeat this for each individual instrument

The difference is likely due to the versions you have installed. When NT V7 was initially released, the default instrument settings were RTH however due to customer demand we had changed these to use ETH.

Can you please verify this by going to Help--> About for each installation and let me know the version installed?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
          Hello,

Yes, would be possible to configure this in the instrument settings. You'd have to repeat this for each individual instrument

The difference is likely due to the versions you have installed. When NT V7 was initially released, the default instrument settings were RTH however due to customer demand we had changed these to use ETH.

Can you please verify this by going to Help--> About for each installation and let me know the version installed?
          That must explain it. I know the answer without looking: The version loading ETH by default is the most recent installation that ends in a 5 and the other is the prior incarnation that ends in a 4.

I don't quite follow you here: "Yes, would be possible to configure this in the instrument settings. You'd have to repeat this for each individual instrument" Are you saying it's possible to change the default to RTH for all or just to change it for each individual instrument (which, as I noted, is what I'm trying to avoid doing, one by one).

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Sorry for the confusion on that statement.

You would have to change it for each individual instrument, as you are trying to avoid. It would not be possible to use a global session template for all instrument / exchange.

For example, you would have to change the ES, YM, NQ individually even though they all trade on the same exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
              Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Sorry for the confusion on that statement.

You would have to change it for each individual instrument, as you are trying to avoid. It would not be possible to use a global session template for all instrument / exchange.

For example, you would have to change the ES, YM, NQ individually even though they all trade on the same exchange.
              Okay, perhaps you can recommend offering users an option to change all instruments to RTH and ETH in a future update? Thanks for the help.

Comment

Hello,

Yes I will forward this to development and let you know once I have a tracking ID.

Comment

IM trying to see why my NT charts are not up to present day.Is there a session template that shows what days are determined?How do I access this template?

Comment

Hello,

You can view what days the session templates are setup to view by going to Tools--> Session Manager.

It is possible you were using a session template that excluded weekend data.

To retrieve 24/7 data on a chart, please follow the directions below.
                    • Right click in your chart and select Data Series.
                    • In the Data Series menu, set the "Session Template" property to "Default 24/7", then click OK.

Comment

How does one load historical ACTIVE futures contract as opposed to spot (aka ES ##-## is what I have, but that is not exactly the active contract)

TIA

Comment

Hello wprosser,

You mean you just want to load the single contract month (ES 06-11) as opposed to the continuous (ES ##-##)?

Please follow the instructions below to rollover the expiration date of a futures contracts.
                        • From within the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                        • Highlight the contract you wish to rollover in the left side of the Instrument Manager window
                        • Press the ">" button (the instrument will disappear from the list)
                        • Press the "<" button and the instrument should re-appear with the front month expiration date

Click here for a video and further instructions

Comment

No i am looking for historical data.

So when I am backtesting a system on volume, I dont have 4 months of poor data (MAR, JUN, SEP, DEC). The ES ##-## is continous, I need historical ACTIVE spot month, not historical spot. on the 10th of each delivery/expiration month the volume rolls...

This has to be possible...

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

By Default NinjaTrader will MergeBackAdjust your historical data from one contract month to another. The day this rollover takes place is set in the Instrument Editor--> Misc tab--> "Contract months (Expiration and rollover dates)"

Click here for more information on editing Instruments and the "Misc" tab:

The way the historical data is merged is handled by the Merge Policy setting you are using for this contract. Please see our Help Guide article on the Understanding Merge Policies for more information:

Comment

That is great info and thanks for the response.

So just so i dont screw this up....

I would select the Merge non back adjusted data if I do not want the data to be adjusted. (I have a daytrading system that would not be affected by the rollover values)

Thanks again

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Pattontje, Yesterday, 02:10 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Pattontje  
                              Started by abdo22, Yesterday, 03:15 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes