could this get any more annoying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could this get any more annoying?

For some unfathomable reason, Ninja is making everyone who trades the CME products change their software to the new version 5 of NT7. Ignoring the obvious fact that this sort of nonsense should be handled by the coders and should not require ANY input from your customers (you don't see Tradestation or eSignal doing this sort of thing every time the CME gets its knickers in a twist), there is the more annoying problem of not being able to actually install this new version due to "Step 2". (see attached pic). Sorry, I have looked for step 2 and I can't find it anywhere. If the people who write these error messages were on the ball, customers would click OK and they'd be taken to something that describes what Step 2 is. But no, we're left hanging. I realize that it's obvious to you folks who deal with these issues all day every day, but to someone who doesn't have an intimate knowledge of Ninja and how it's technicians think, step 2 is mysterious, and so far, unfindable. So, Please, pretty please, tell me what the hell step 2 is and how to find it. And in the future, could you possibly make this sort of two-step (terrible pun yes intended) unnecessary and handle the changes without requiring constant upgrading? I know, I know, the software is free, I shouldn't *****, but it's tacky having to change versions constantly.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Tasuki View Post
    For some unfathomable reason, Ninja is making everyone who trades the CME products change their software to the new version 5 of NT7. Ignoring the obvious fact that this sort of nonsense should be handled by the coders and should not require ANY input from your customers (you don't see Tradestation or eSignal doing this sort of thing every time the CME gets its knickers in a twist), there is the more annoying problem of not being able to actually install this new version due to "Step 2". (see attached pic). Sorry, I have looked for step 2 and I can't find it anywhere. If the people who write these error messages were on the ball, customers would click OK and they'd be taken to something that describes what Step 2 is. But no, we're left hanging. I realize that it's obvious to you folks who deal with these issues all day every day, but to someone who doesn't have an intimate knowledge of Ninja and how it's technicians think, step 2 is mysterious, and so far, unfindable. So, Please, pretty please, tell me what the hell step 2 is and how to find it. And in the future, could you possibly make this sort of two-step (terrible pun yes intended) unnecessary and handle the changes without requiring constant upgrading? I know, I know, the software is free, I shouldn't *****, but it's tacky having to change versions constantly.
    Sorry for the inconvenience. I wish we would be able to make this CME change transparent but some of our API partners have had to make changes in their API's that we use and thus we are forced to incorporate these changes and have our users update to the latest version. We always try to minimize impact on our users where possible.

With respect to the "step 2", this was overlooked and an issue on our side when we made the download process easier. What you will need to do is go to our website, click on the "FREE TO USE DOWNLOAD NOW" image (top left section of our website), proceed to enter your license key, press the "DOWNLOAD" button which will take you to a page that lists available download files. Click on the "read" link shown in the enclose image. This is what "step 2" now refers to.

Again, I am sorry for this inconvenience.
    Attached Files
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Well, this has quickly gone from an inconvenience to an impossibility. I read your Step 2, and realized two things:
      1) you folks are in deep trouble. The instructions are WAY too complicated. Nobody should ever have to uninstall a Microsoft service pack. Those damn things are huge files, and very touchy to deal with.

2) none of the steps in step 2 apply to me because I'm using XP Pro, and not Windows 7. So, having read your step two, and realizing it didn't apply to me, I tried to install 7.5, but I get the same error message.

Here's my question: what do XP users do? Oh, BTW, I'm using Ninjatrader 7.0.1000.1

p.s. just a heads up: besides the very unwise advice to uninstall a Microsoft service pack, the necessity of uninstalling the NinjaScript Assembly and all the steps that follow it...really, guys. You can do better than this. No customer should have to rip out every last scrap of an earlier version of a company's software from their computer just to upgrade to the latest version of that software. This is just poor programming on your part. Here's a clue: show me one other software company that makes you totally eliminate their previous version from your computer before installing the next version? Name one. To add insult to injury, this is the second time in recent months that you've asked your customers to do this. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Ninja 7 is a step backwards compared to 6.5. I could be wrong, but I can't recall ever having to totally eliminate a previous version of 6.5 before upgrading to a new version. If you keep this up, folks, traders are going to quickly get tired of this. Just a heads up.
      Last edited by Tasuki; 05-23-2011, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Tasuki,

1. Since you are using Windows XP you will not have to uninstall a Service Pack. With the upgrade to NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.3 and later versions there are two items that require attention. The first is the Windows 7, Service Pack 1 compatibility, and uninstalling the Service Pack was an alternative for those who were using the previous version but had already installed the Service Pack.

The second item is related to the custom assemblies from third-party providers, and if there are custom assemblies then the upgrade would require step 2 of the install whereby the custom assemblies are first removed.

In one or both of the cases additional steps may be necessary, but they are not dependent on one or the other.

2. Then since Windows 7 is not applicable in this case what step 2 is detailing as necessary is the removal of the NinjaScript assemblies prior to being able to upgrade. Within your current installation of NinjaTrader you will want to go to File > Utilities > Remove NinjaScript Assembly. Highlight each assembly and then hit the Remove button to uninstall from within NinjaTrader.

These are custom assemblies that will need to be re-installed following the upgrade. The change from NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.2 and later versions is that commercial third-party add-ons are now protected by a new security package, and so prior to upgrading those assemblies will need to be installed because the providers now have sets that work with later versions of NinjaTrader. You will want to contact any assembly provider that you remove to obtain the latest copy of the indicators that can work with the most current version of the application and it's enhanced security for commercial add-ons.
        Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Honestly, Ryan, I couldn't understand a word of your reply. What on earth is an "assembly", and what are "assembly providers"? Are you referring to indicators? I've only bought one set of custom indicators, and their author made it clear that he has no intention of constantly revising his indicators to suit Ninjatrader. So, where does that leave me? Frankly, I have no idea.
          Questions:
          1) If I uninstall these "assemblies" (whatever that means) will I be able to install the latest version of NT7 on my XP computer?
          2) Will I be able to reinstall the very same indicators on the new version of NT, or will the old versions of my indicators not work on the new version of NT?
          3) I've got another computer that runs Windows 7. Does Ninjatrader 6.5 work on Windows 7?

Thanks,
          Tasuki

Comment

Hi Tasuki,

When referring to the assemblies I am referring to commercial indicators that have been purchased. Step 2 indicates you will want to uninstall that set of indicators prior to upgrading NinjaTrader.

1. If you uninstall these assemblies from the File > Utilities > Remove NinjaScript Assembly you will be able to upgrade NinjaTrader 7.

2. If the indicators have been updated to work with the most current version of NinjaTrader then you can reinstall those indicators but to verify if they are available from the provider then you will want to contact them to obtain those indicators. If they are not available then can you please clarify the provider of the indicators.

3. NinjaTrader 6.5 would not run on a Windows 7 machine with Service Pack 1, as the versions that are compatible with Windows 7, SP 1 would be NinjaTrader 7.0.1000.3 and above.
            Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ryan, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, this whole business is too complicated for me to bother with. I've withdrawn my money from Mirus Futures so I won't be trading through Ninjatrader any time soon. I hope you folks eventually get your act together, but I don't see that happening in the near future. You might want to start listening to constructive critics like me, but that's just a suggestion.
              Tasuki
              Last edited by Tasuki; 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by TraderCro, 04-12-2024, 11:36 AM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Mindset
              by Mindset

Started by Mindset, Yesterday, 02:04 AM
              1 response
              0 likes