NT 7 Memory Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT 7 Memory Usage

I am using NT7 64bit (latest version) as my primary trading platform. I connect to Interactive Brokers. I use Chart Trader to place my orders and manage trades. No ATM or automated strategy. I use almost no indicators on my charts. Only AutoTrendLine and BarTimer mainly.

I have noticed that Ninjatrader uses a huge amount of memory compared to Metatrader. I also run MT4 on my desktop for a demo trading account. Metatrader is running almost the exact number of charts that I have open in Ninjatrader. Yet the difference in memory used is huge.

Memory Usage of Metatrader: 6MB sometimes up to 10MB but never more than that.

Memory Usage of Ninjatrader: 140MB going up to 160MB

I am attaching a screenshot of my Task Manager. Also in the picture is the Java application for Interactive Brokers which uses 200MB. Together IB+NT7 use 340MB compared to 6MB for Metatrader, That is astonishing.
    Attached Files

NinjaTrader out of the box runs between 40 and 60 MB of RAM. If you add charts the RAM will climb. A 140 MB foot print sounds perfectly reasonable. I have never run MT however, in comparing NinjaTrader to other industry platforms, our performance metrics are in line with those.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I guess if what Ray is saying is correct then 140MB is normal. Although it is strange that MT4 is doing the same number of charts with a fraction of the memory.

Comment

Hi, in regards to this topic, I am currently running nt7 with a memory footprint of 3.17 gigabytes as inidcated by the ninjatrader.exe in windows 7 task manager. It's running ok, a bit sticky, at this time when the market is very quiet. I don't want to take anything down and wondering if this is pushing the limit of efficient live trading for the nt7 platform. My concern is with delays in order transmission. thanks

Comment

Hello syxforex,

Thanks for your post.

By the sound of it, you are nearing the functional limit of your current setup. I would not expect delays in the transmission of an order signal necessarily. Are you trading manually or with an automated strategy of some kind?
          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
          Started by KennyK, 05-29-2017, 02:02 AM
          2 responses
          0 likes