Setting Stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Stops

I would like to be able to set various kinds of stops including dynamic or fixed trailing stops with the same ease and flexibility that I can when placing orders through my broker. However, when I click on a chart the various Buy & Sell Market options don't seem to provide an easy way to place my stops. The ATM Strategy custom sub-section of the charts order section has a stop loss field where various numerical values can be entered but I don't understand how to use this. The user manual refers to various scripts in strategy when I search for stop loss.

I have watched the videos about placing orders including placing Simulated Stop Orders. What pops up in my order screen when I right click for simulated orders or click for live orders is an ATM Strategy window with a stop loss for reach of three targets. It does not have fields for entering stop limit orders as are shown in the video and I do not see Sim101 at the top of the field as is in the video. Also, when clicking above or below a candle to place an order there doesn't seem to be an option to place a stop loss a t a certasin point above a sell order or below a buy order. My global configuration is set to sim mode.

I look forward to getting a clear explanation as possibly I have overlooked something.
    Last edited by tradefund; 06-05-2011, 10:48 AM.

Hello tradefund,

Thank you for your post.

You will want to set the Stops with the ATM Strategy parameters. By default these will be set to ticks. The tick value you use will depend on the market you are trading.

For example, if you were trading the ES where each tick is .25 points or 1 point is 4 ticks, and you wanted to place a stop 1 point below your entry price, you would use a value or 4 ticks for the stop.

You will want to place the Stop orders through the ATM Strategies before placing the order through chart trader. Once the buy or sell order through chart trader is filled, you will see it amended with the stop loss value you had used.

To submit an order using Chart Trader:

1. Set the "Qty" field

2. Set the strategy option
    a) <None> : Orders are submitted independent of a strategy
    b) <Custom> : Stop loss and profit target orders are created "on the fly" using the selected strategy parameters
    c) Active Strategy X: Apply this order to this selected strategy, the selected strategy's stops and targets are automatically updated*
    d) User Defined Strategy Template: Stops and targets are submitted from a predefined user template

3. Clicking the "..." button will display the strategy parameters window

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
    2 responses
    1 like
    Last Post BarzTrading  
    Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
    3 responses
    0 likes