Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How does NT calculate MAE, MFE, etc. for trades with multliple entries & exits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does NT calculate MAE, MFE, etc. for trades with multliple entries & exits?

Hi,

How does NT calculate the MAE, MFE, etc. for trades with multliple entries & exits?

Thanks

PS. I did read http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...efinitions.htm but that doesn not provide the answer.

Hi rassom,

Thank you for your post.

Exactly the same formulas are used for these calculations. The entry/exit prices are based on averages.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
      Hi rassom,

Thank you for your post.

Exactly the same formulas are used for these calculations. The entry/exit prices are based on averages.
      Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the quick reply which leads to a couple of follow up questions which I hope you will help clarify:

I would think using averages for key figures such as MFE, MAE etc will never be correct as they use the high/low of the period from entry to exit for calculations.

1. If you scale into a trade with an entry on Monday buying 100 shares @ 4.49 and then another entry on Wednesday buying 200 shares @ 4.90 which day (date) does Ninjatrader use for the calculations of these key figures?

2. If you, as above, scale into a trade with an entry on Monday buying 100 shares @ 4.49 and then another entry on Wednesday buying 200 shares @ 4.90 which entry price is used? The normal average (4.695) or the weighted average (4.763)?

3. Just to make sure we're on the same page: Do you agree that using an average entry price would always result in an incorrect MAE or MFE calculation?

Comment

Hi rassom,

Thanks for your feedback - I can see how this could be considered to be incorrect. I'll forward your comments here on to development for further consideration.

Comment

Hi,

Did you get an answer from them?

Thanks

Comment

Hi rassom,

I've forwarded your feedback on the calculation of these items to development for consideration as a future change. Unfortunately, there's no word on if any changes would be implemented at this time.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

Any news from development?

Comment

Hi Rassom,

This item remains on developments list of future considerations. I have no additional update on the development status of the item at this time, but I will update this thread if and when a update becomes available.

Comment

ok - thank you

Comment

Any news on this? Not using Weighted Average Cost is a huge mistake on NT's part. There also should be LIFO method as well.

Comment

Hello relogical,

Unfortunately there is no news available regarding this item. It is still on the list of future considerations, but there is no information if and when it will be implemented.
                      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I would also like to add my vote for a correct implementation of MAE and MFE. As it stands now, I can not do a simple export--I have to manually calculate this data, and it takes unnecessary extra time to do so. In fact, it would be better to simply not have these metrics available, if they are not correct, which they clearly are not.

Comment

Bumping this. Looks like the MFE is still not calculated correctly when I add to an open position. On account performance tab whether I group by ATM or not the MFE is not correct. This seems like a basic function to treat MFE for each trade separately. Any updates coming ? Thanks.

Comment

Hello jasinhbca,

Unfortunately, there are no updates at this time. The change remains on development's list of future considerations however there is no word as to if or when such a change would be made.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by cre8able, Today, 01:01 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                            Started by manitshah915, Today, 12:59 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes