Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Contention between T&S and OnMarketData?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contention between T&S and OnMarketData?

Is there a "hook" contention between T&S window and indicators that use OnMarketData()? I noticed that some of my charts will become sluggish at times (the crosshair cursor becomes less responsive vs earlier after starting up). When I press F5 to refresh, sometimes the T&S windows will also refresh on its own (that is, go blank, and then start displaying again) - as though there is a hook between the two windows. Then both will respond as you would expect in updating. I am wondering whether this underlying contention is causing my chart(s) to periodically slow down.

Ideally, since I run on a multi-core system, T&S should be running in it's own core and not disturb anything else.
    Last edited by Tarkus11; 06-28-2011, 01:02 PM.

Tarkus11, both windows would access the Level 1 MarketData stream, but there's no 'hook' that should produce a lag. Are there any log errors you spot as this happens?

Thanks as well for the multi thread suggestion for these task, this is on our list for future consideration already.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for the response. No - there are no log errors and nothing in the trace file either. Also, NT locked-up completely on me today. I had to End Task and restart it. This doesn't happen if I refresh my charts with F5 soon after the market RTH open. Today I was on the phone and did not do the Refresh in time. It's like there is a memory leak that accumulates over time. The Refresh keeps it at bay as long as it's done a few times a day. As for the T&S, I've slowed it down to .5 sec update to see if it helps.

Comment

Tarkus11, are you running any computationally intensive indicators on the charts as these lags/lock ups occur? What are your indicators accessing OnMarketData() doing with all the received data? What instruments would you be viewing/trading?
        AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I would say that some may be "computationally intensive" though that is a relative appraisal.

I am, however, monitoring my cores, and there are times when one core (out of 6) will spike to 100% for a while, but it does not stick there for long and backs down relatively quickly.

It is not physical memory, as I am using only 1/3 of what is installed. Neither my monitor software or browser lock up on the same pc.

So it seems to me like a mem leak, accumulating over time. Again, F5 on several charts will restore the cross-hair responsiveness for a while. It still blanks my T&S screen for a while during a chart refresh at times. I still don't see what the connection there is.

I will be installing a liquid cooler on my cpu to overclock it, since it is running stock speed now. I doubt the added speed will help, but will try that route anyway.

Comment

It sounds like your indicators aren't fully optimized. Are you creating (and not destroying/deleting) many objects during the indicator's life? Since the refresh/reload speeds things up again, that means the resources used by your indicator take up quite a bit of memory. There also is the possibility of a memory leak, but to test that we'll need to test your entire set up (charts, indicators, etc).
            AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I will look through the indicators again to see if I can add Dispose() in a relevant place.

However, what, if anything, would explain the T&S windows blanking at the same time I hit F5 to refresh a chart. It starts displaying again - usually before the chart starts displaying after the refresh - but I don't see why my chart refresh would affect it at all.

Comment

Hello,

If I understand you correctly. The both would access the same feed and would wait to recieve a tick that would not happen until the CPU can process the tick after done processing. Everything in NT is tick driven.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:53 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post CortexZenUSA  
                Started by CortexZenUSA, Today, 12:46 AM
                0 responses
                1 view