Drawing objects bug - rectangle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brett,
    I do nothing special - just open a blank 2 min ES chart with <Use instrument settings> session template, manually place a rectangle then specify the time coordinates. Only now NT 'automatically' resets my Endtime every time I try to put my own end time. For example, if I put Endtime of 0314PM, it resets it to something random like 1105AM as soon as I move my mouse from the field!

K

Comment

Hello,

Steps:

->ES 09-11 2 minute chart
      ->Draw rectangle on bars
      ->edit rectangles properties
      ->my edit of the end time stemp is saved correctly.
      ->shared the drawing so it is attached to all charts
      ->Time stamp is correct on secondary chart as well
      ->change time on the end date for the secondary rectangle still no issues.

Am I am missing a step to replicate?

Comment

Not Resolved

Brett,
        I had to ditch my 'default' template and started from scratch. Now drawing of rectangles work as expected. No idea what was wrong with my 'default' template but that is the only and last thing I could think of. Glad it works. Thanks for your time & assistance.

K
        Last edited by kashter; 07-28-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Brett,
          I spoke too soon! The ugly issue is back, and no the default chart does not seem to be the cause. I have no idea what is going on. This is very inconsistent to say the least. Please have a look at this issue again.

The steps you stated are exactly what I use. However, today and as was the case in the past, the 'endtime' refuses to accept anything beyond 11:21AM today! Then I deleted the rectangle and started again, this time it accepts 'endtime' of 2:15PM (it resets to this time no matter what I put) but nothing beyond. Note the inconsistency.

Comment

Hello,

When it gets in a state of wont accept the value please let me know and keep it this way and email me at support at ninjatrader dot com.

I will want to remote into your PC and take a look into this.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Hi Brett,
              This is a good time to remote if you have a minute. Let me know.

K

Comment

Hello,

you need to email me at support at ninjatrader dot com ATTN: Brett and include your phone number there so I can call and get remoted in.

I ask to email since I do not want your personal information on the forum.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post

I ask to email since I do not want your personal information on the forum.

Thanks.
                  If I may make a suggestion?

Might it not be easier to temporarily turn on your PM, ask for the information, then turn PM back off, after you receive the message?

Given how folks behave on here, I am reasonably sure that, for the brief period that your PM will be enabled, nobody else will abuse your PM by sending you a PM uninvited.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Hello,

Email is the best way. PM does not have ticket tracking and I cannot track it in my support software.

Thanks.

Comment

Brett,
                      Just emailed you. Looking forward to your call.

K

Comment

Hi Brett,
                        Just reporting the Trend Channel has the same bug too.

K

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for letting me know. This issue should be for all drawing objects.

I have checked into with development. I have found that this is expected and is a limitation.

Reason is that NinjaTrader creates fake/not yet created bars into the future for you to drag the chart to the right. There is a limit to how far you can drag these charts to the right and roughly speaking it is the span of the entire chart. Which in my case in replicating here is about an hour and a half ahead of time.

Now since you cant drag the chart that far to the right to that value, since there is no blank spots for bars, you cannot draw a draing object manually into this space and you cannot force an object to draw into this space with editing it in properties.

The scale and span of the chart and what time frame you use would matter here, this would explain why you would get different results with how far you can expand the drawing out too.

This is expected by development as it is current NT design.

Thanks for letting me test this on your PC, and have a good rest of the day.

Comment

Brett,
                            I have just drawn a Trend Channel with end time of 3:15 CST on a 2 min chart, and this shows correctly on all my charts, including Volume based charts. As has been mentioned in prior posts, there is a level of inconsistency with drawn objects (see my reply to Koganam's post above).

So the assertion this is by design totally confuses me. If you like you can remote to my computer, or just try to place a Trend Channel on a time based chart to show on other charts.

So the issue is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - unless I am missing something, this sounds like a bug to me.

K

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
                            Hello,

Thanks for letting me know. This issue should be for all drawing objects.

I have checked into with development. I have found that this is expected and is a limitation.

Reason is that NinjaTrader creates fake/not yet created bars into the future for you to drag the chart to the right. There is a limit to how far you can drag these charts to the right and roughly speaking it is the span of the entire chart. Which in my case in replicating here is about an hour and a half ahead of time.

Now since you cant drag the chart that far to the right to that value, since there is no blank spots for bars, you cannot draw a draing object manually into this space and you cannot force an object to draw into this space with editing it in properties.

The scale and span of the chart and what time frame you use would matter here, this would explain why you would get different results with how far you can expand the drawing out too.

This is expected by development as it is current NT design.

Comment

Behavior is consistent biased on the idea that it can change depending on the chart type used.

It is expected that you will get different results depending on what chart type you are using as it all depends on how many bars into the future NinjaTrader will prerender as a blank bar as a space to put a bar.

You can verify this easily on your end.

Try to drag a chart to the left with your mouse, therefor increasing the right margin. Continue to do this. You will find a point on where you simply cannot drag the chart bars any further to the left. Do you see this point?

You just hit the limitation and you cannot draw out farther then that.

Let me know if you have trouble hitting that.

Comment

Originally posted by kashter View Post
                                Brett,
                                I have just drawn a Trend Channel with end time of 3:15 CST on a 2 min chart, and this shows correctly on all my charts, including Volume based charts. As has been mentioned in prior posts, there is a level of inconsistency with drawn objects (see my reply to Koganam's post above).

So the assertion this is by design totally confuses me. If you like you can remote to my computer, or just try to place a Trend Channel on a time based chart to show on other charts.

So the issue is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - unless I am missing something, this sounds like a bug to me.

K
                                Actually, I have discovered that this seems to be consistent, just confusing until one figures it out.

Try this.
                                1. Draw any bounded object (eg., rectangle)
                                2. Bring up the Properties dialog.
                                3. Try to enter an end date very far out, using the calendar dialog (not editing the field, but clicking to bring up the calendar), and you will see that NT will not even accept the entry, to allow the calendar box to close.
                                4. Keep clicking on earlier dates, and eventually NT will accept the date and time. That is the maximum for that measure on the current day.
                                5. Make the object global.
                                6. Open another chart that ends today, and make the chart smaller and smaller. Eventually, the object will no longer display.
                                7. Expand the chart to full screen, and you will see the object again.

I conclude then that somewhere in between full screen and a certain size, the object just does not display.

Whether to call that a feature or a bug depends on which side of the fence you sit.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Javierw.ok  
                                Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                                2 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post bltdavid