Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chart time zone

Hello,
    How do I change the chart to display my brokerage time zone instead of my local time zone?

Thanks,
    Oren

Hello Oren,

Thank you for your post.

To change the time displayed on your chart you will be required to change your local PC clock to that time zone then close NinjaTrader and sync your PC clock by double clicking on the clock in the lower right corner of your desktop. Once you have done that, click on Internet Time tab and then click Update. Your PC clock should now be updated and you may restart NinjaTrader.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for your reply,
      Unfortunately I'm running ninja from a VPS that runs other processes, and changing the local time will hurt them. At the same time, I'm doing my research from my computer that has a different local time, and the need to adjust the time session according to three (local, brokerage, VPS) is annoying and unnecessary.

Isn't there a way to change the time internally? I find it very disappointing that a simple task of running a strategy on a chart according to brokerage time is not possible when it's available in other less advance (and free) trading platforms. It will really simplify matters when dealing with several time zones.

Comment

orshk,

Thank you for the feedback. You currently cannot change the display of data away from the local PC timezone in NT. This is on our feedback list with tracking #41.
        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I have the same issue with time zone. My problem is, if I set the PC time zone to be in US eastern, google or kinectick free service will show empty chart, even if it's daily charts.
          Going into historical data manager shows those daily data are indeed loaded but just can't show.

Like the previous comments, time zone management in NT7 seems overly complicated with this, and session manager's session template, and local PC timezone etc..

Comment

+1 for easier chart time zone settings - it's really not practical to be changing the computer clock when you live on the other side of the world to your brokerage time...

any idea when such a basic kind of feature will be implemented?

thanks,

elle

Comment

Sorry to keep this same thread alive, but I have a time zone question too, related to this. I am developing an indicator that will only trade during the NY session, so it will only trade between 9:30am and 12pm Eastern time. However, I don't want to require my users to have to reset their computer clock to Eastern time in order to use the indicator, and I don't want to allow them to change the trading times either.

So my idea is to capture the current PC's time zone from the indicator code, and use that to reset the start/stop times it trades. So for example, if the user's time zone was set to Central, then the code would change the start/stop times to 8:30am and 11am automatically.

Question: Is there a way to determine the PC's time zone it's set to with some kind of property within the indicator code?

Thanks!
              Bryan
              cassb
              NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Comment

Hi Bryan,

Yes, there are C# properties you can use for this:

The method for convert to UTC may work for you to keep all time zone references to the same time zone. Here's a snippet I've used to convert NT time objects to Eastern. It converts to UTC and then subtracts 4 hours.

Code:
                int TimeInNy = ToTime(Time[0].ToUniversalTime().AddHours(-4)); //Converts a bars time stamp to New York time, regardless of local time zone.
                Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks Ryan, I knew I could count on you. :-)

But I still need to know what the local PC time zone is so I can convert my "9:30am EST" value to whatever their local time is when NY is at 9:30am. I'll look at the CurrentTimeZone property and see if I can use that within NT code.

Thanks again!
                  Bryan
                  cassb

Comment

Great, glad it's helpful. Although not supported, there should be no problem using CurrentTimeZone in NT.
                    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Just as a followup, this is the code I created to convert a EST hour and minute passed in into the user's local hour and minute. I wasn't concerned with the date in my case, but you could do the same to convert a passed in DateTime.Now to the local date and time.

Code:
                      using System.Globalization;
                      // Input hour and minute, output hour in local time zone.
                      public int ToLocalHour(int hour, int min)
                      {
                          DateTime easternTime = new DateTime(DateTime.Now.Year, DateTime.Now.Month, DateTime.Now.Day, hour, min, 0);
                          DateTime returnTime = TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTime(easternTime, TimeZoneInfo.FindSystemTimeZoneById("Eastern Standard Time"), TimeZoneInfo.Local);
                          return returnTime.Hour;
                      }

// Input hour and minute, output minute in local time zone.
                      public int ToLocalMinute(int hour, int min)
                      {
                          DateTime easternTime = new DateTime(DateTime.Now.Year, DateTime.Now.Month, DateTime.Now.Day, hour, min, 0);
                          DateTime returnTime = TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTime(easternTime, TimeZoneInfo.FindSystemTimeZoneById("Eastern Standard Time"), TimeZoneInfo.Local);
                          return returnTime.Minute;
                      }
                      Last edited by cassb; 01-06-2012, 03:20 PM.
                      cassb

Comment

Tracking #41 from 2011

Hallo NinjaTrader Support.

Sorry if so much time is over, but I would like to know whether there are some news about Tracking#41 of 2011.

In other words: it would be so great being able to exclude any time zone adjustment when importing data (especially for backtesting) into Ninja!

Would it be possible sometimes (two years after the ticket was created...) having the possibility of excluding this feature?

Bye

Comment

Currently when importing data the local PC time will automatically be used. I do not have any additional information on this feature being implemented however I will forward your request to development as well as an additional request.
                          Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by fsprea View Post
                            Hallo NinjaTrader Support.

Sorry if so much time is over, but I would like to know whether there are some news about Tracking#41 of 2011.
                            In other words: it would be so great being able to exclude any time zone adjustment when importing data (especially for backtesting) into Ninja!
                            Would it be possible sometimes (two years after the ticket was created...) having the possibility of excluding this feature?
                            Bye
                            Not sure if it helps but I use an indicator to color chart for different timezones (NY open, NY close/Globex, London open). Indicator is called TimeZoneColors and has three regions to use. Got it from Big Mike's Trading site but surely same/similar available elsewhere.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by funk10101, Today, 12:02 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
                            Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_Erick