Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minor issue: workspaces and saving z-order

Just a minor point:

When you have multiple workspaces open and cycle through them using the next/previous keys, z-order is not preserved when you leave a workspace and then come back to it. So, for example, if you have a workspace set up with (let's say) 15 different charts, with some overlapping others, when you navigate away from that workspace and then come back to it, the z-order of all the windows is not preserved and therefore you have to click on all the windows again to get them in the right order. This can be annoying with multiple workspaces, if you are switching between them.

Just a minor point, but it's something you can test out and include in the next release if you want...

Hi JS999,

Thank you for your post.

I have tried testing this using some simple workspaces and am not able to duplicate the issue.

To test further and establish that this occurs on a scale beyond your installation can you please go to the Help > Mail to Support feature and then please send an email to support that way and include your workspaces.

Please reference this thread and then we can test your workspaces to duplicate the issue.
    Ryan O.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_RyanOlson View Post
      Hi JS999,

Thank you for your post.

I have tried testing this using some simple workspaces and am not able to duplicate the issue.

To test further and establish that this occurs on a scale beyond your installation can you please go to the Help > Mail to Support feature and then please send an email to support that way and include your workspaces.

Please reference this thread and then we can test your workspaces to duplicate the issue.
      Thanks for testing this... can you try this with a number of charts that are set to "Always on Top"? I think that this may have something to do with it. I have also noticed that when a chart has the "Always on Top" property set, then when you click on the Link button (the one with the 7 different colors), the chart actually loses its "on top" property until a color is selected. I don't know if that is related, but you can test it...

Comment

Hi JS999,

In testing this further I set up three workspaces with several charts each. Applied to each chart were multiple indicators all set to work on panel 1 so that I could then set the levels. Once I set the levels I then saved the workspace. I repeated this until I had three open workspaces. I then cycled through them each and checked the levels of the charts I had created which had remained intact contrary to what you are seeing.

If you were to create a new workspace and then test would you the z-order preserved within the new workspace.

When testing this I did have the Always on Top feature enabled and was able to duplicate the issue you mentioned there where when selecting the Linking feature, and prior to selecting a color the window will move behind others as a temporary loss.

To further document these you can forward the workspace files from the Mail to Support feature.

Comment

Hi JS999,

In testing this further I set up three workspaces with several charts each. Applied to each chart were multiple indicators all set to work on panel 1 so that I could then set the levels. Once I set the levels I then saved the workspace. I repeated this until I had three open workspaces. I then cycled through them each and checked the levels of the charts I had created which had remained intact contrary to what you are seeing.

If you were to create a new workspace and then test would you the z-order preserved within the new workspace.

When testing this I did have the Always on Top feature enabled and was able to duplicate the issue you mentioned there where when selecting the Linking feature, and prior to selecting a color the window will move behind others as a temporary loss.

To further document these you can forward the workspace files from the Mail to Support feature.
          I think we may have a miscommunication here: I believe that what you are talking about is the z-order of indicators within each chart, whereas what I am talking about is the z-order of the windows themselves. For example, try to make some of the chart windows overlap with one another and see if that kind of z-order is preserved. I think you may find that the window overlaps you originally set up do not remain the same the next time you come back to that workspace. Sometimes they seem to be preserved, but a lot of time time they are not. See if you can duplicate that effect...

Comment

Hi JS999,

In testing based on that further clarification I continued to use the same workspaces I had created earlier. Each chart was set to Always on Top and then based on that setting I am able to arrange in a particular manner so that they overlap in particular ways.

Once I had configured the workspace charts to overlap in that manner I closed and then re-opened NinjaTrader and cycled through my workspaces making note of the overlapping nature of each of the windows. In each case the overlapping window was in the same location relative to other windows.

It may be that the general workspace configuration is not maintained, and to test this you can close NinjaTrader and then go to My Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > workspaces and delete the _workspaces.xml file.

Comment

Hi JS999,

In testing based on that further clarification I continued to use the same workspaces I had created earlier. Each chart was set to Always on Top and then based on that setting I am able to arrange in a particular manner so that they overlap in particular ways.

Once I had configured the workspace charts to overlap in that manner I closed and then re-opened NinjaTrader and cycled through my workspaces making note of the overlapping nature of each of the windows. In each case the overlapping window was in the same location relative to other windows.

It may be that the general workspace configuration is not maintained, and to test this you can close NinjaTrader and then go to My Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > workspaces and delete the _workspaces.xml file.
              Interesting... the only difference between what you did and what I did was closing NinjaTrader and then re-opening it... can you try the same thing by just re-arranging one of the workspaces without closing NT, and see what happens when you cycle through? Then try re-arranging and just saving the workspace, with the same cycle-through test. I wonder if it will be preserved without actually closing the application first... I can't test it right now since I am away from my PC, but I will try that later today and get back to you.

Comment

JS999,

I had tried both manners and tested by cycling through prior to closing, and then after. As long as Always on Top is enabled for each of the charts what I was seeing is that they maintained their display order within the workspace.

Comment

JS999,

I had tried both manners and tested by cycling through prior to closing, and then after. As long as Always on Top is enabled for each of the charts what I was seeing is that they maintained their display order within the workspace.
                  Alright... I will do some more testing later I guess... what exactly should happen if I close NT and delete the workspaces.xml file, just so I know? Is it just going to change which workspaces show up when I first open NT?

Comment

Hi JS999,

That file is a workspace configuration file and does contain some of the general workspace settings. By removing that we may modify some of the internal dynamics of the workspace, but you can then set those and then save and test with the newly created file that governs workspace behavior.

You will not lose any of the workspaces or their settings, but just some of the practical matters that determine the workspace configurations.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                    3 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                    Started by tkaboris, Today, 08:01 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes