Database file location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database file location

Is there a way to change the location of the files within ..\Ninja Trader 7\db ?

The extraordinarily large number of files really slows down my backup software and I don't really need to back up all of these files every day, so I would like to get them out of the backup path, which includes my Documents Library (Windows 7).

Are the text files of Minute historical data redundant with the SQL Server database? I don't want to delete them if they are the only copy, but it would sure be nicer to have all that data in one database file than in tens (or hundreds) of thousands of individual text files.

Having such extraordinarily large numbers of files slows down several functions on my computer. It would sure be nice to be able to put them somewhere out of the way, or better yet to concentrate them into fewer files. By the way, those files are so small that the storage efficiency is only about 60-70% (the disk space required is about 50% greater than the total file size, as reported by Windows Explorer.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately the NinjaTrader database file cannot be relocated to another spot on your PC and will need to remain in this folder in order to operate correctly.

Historical data will not be stored within your database "NinjaTrader.sdf" within NinjaTrader 7. Data is stored in their own folders which can be found in Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->db folder-->Minue, Tick and Daily folders.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Chris:

Thanks for your reply.

An option to change that would really be appreciated.

I like to do a backup of my Documents folder daily. Even if I exclude /NinjaTrader 7/db/ from the backup, the software (Retrospect) still checks every file within the main folder selected to see whether it should be excluded or not. If I remember correctly, this takes several hours. I could alternatively explicitly include every subfolder of Documents except NinjaTrader (and then deal with it separately on a different schedule), but then I would risk forgetting to include new subfolders, so I do not like that option.

Similarly, if I try to use the Properties of Documents to quickly find out the total storage used by that folder and its subfolders, it takes seconds without NT included, but on the order of an hour with NT included.

A far preferable, but admittedly more difficult, alternative to optionally allowing the files to be located elsewhere would be to consolidate that information in fewer, larger files.

Please put these suggestions on the wish list.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
      4 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post trilliantrader  
      Started by mgco4you, Today, 09:46 PM
      1 response
      0 likes