Collapse

Losing saved chart drawings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, this thread is 2 years old now. Is there a fix for this 20 day drawing deletion nightmare? Soon I'll be forced to go to another platform, I'm tired of losing info. I love Ninja but if I cannot keep my work safe what good is it?

Comment

Hi,

This is a coded by designed and we have not made any changes in this area. In previous versions of NinjaTrader, we found that users often had very old drawing objects saved in workspaces which would use unnecessary computer resources, contributing to performance problems. We have found the 20 day auto remove objects to be a reasonable setting and most users do not even notice that the old objects are being removed as they usually are not needed.

With that said, if you have a specific system where this design is causing issues for you, it is technically possible to change and configure this limit. The steps I'm providing are not supported and could have further unknown consequences, but you are free to proceed at your own risk.

1. Shut down NinjaTrader
      2. Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7
      3. Locate the Config.xml file, right click on this file and select "Open with"--> select "Notepad" (or any other text editor)
      4. In the config file, search (Ctrl + F) for this element:

Code:
          <AutoRemoveObjects>
            <int>20</int>
          </AutoRemoveObjects>
      5. Once located, you can change the element value to a number of days which you may find reasonable.

Code:
          <AutoRemoveObjects>
         [B]   <int>60</int>[/B]
          </AutoRemoveObjects>
      6. After making your desired changes, save the file and close the text editor.

Finally you may restart NinjaTrader and the draw objects should use the new value.

My suggestion to users who decide to change this value is to take caution and pay close attention to all objects that have been drawn. Please make sure you are removing old objects manually as NinjaTrader may not dispose of these depending on the settings you have configured.

Please note that this is not a supported technique and we do not encourage user to change this value. Knowing this, we will not be able to provide further assistance in this area beyond what has been posted in this thread. We also cannot gurantee that this workaround will not change in the future without notice.

However if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.
      Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 10-04-2013, 02:18 PM.
      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Matthew View Post
        Hi,

This is a coded by designed and we have not made any changes in this area. In previous versions of NinjaTrader, we found that users often had very old drawing objects saved in workspaces which would use unnecessary computer resources, contributing to performance problems. We have found the 20 day auto remove objects to be a reasonable setting and most users do not even notice that the old objects are being removed as they usually are not needed.

With that said, if you have a specific system where this design is causing issues for you, it is technically possible to change and configure this limit. The steps I'm providing are not supported and could have further unknown consequences, but you are free to proceed at your own risk.

1. Shut down NinjaTrader
        2. Navigate to (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7
        3. Locate the Config.xml file, right click on this file and select "Open with"--> select "Notepad" (or any other text editor)
        4. In the config file, search (Ctrl + F) for this element:

Code:
            <AutoRemoveObjects>
              <int>20</int>
            </AutoRemoveObjects>
        5. Once located, you can change the element value to a number of days which you may find reasonable.

Code:
            <AutoRemoveObjects>
           [B]   <int>60</int>[/B]
            </AutoRemoveObjects>
        6. After making your desired changes, save the file and close the text editor.

Finally you may restart NinjaTrader and the draw objects should use the new value.

My suggestion to users who decide to change this value is to take caution and pay close attention to all objects that have been drawn. Please make sure you are removing old objects manually as NinjaTrader may not dispose of these depending on the settings you have configured.

Please note that this is not a supported technique and we do not encourage user to change this value. Knowing this, we will not be able to provide further assistance in this area beyond what has been posted in this thread. We also cannot gurantee that this workaround will not change in the future without notice.

However if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can.
        Mathew,
        Thank-you for your prompt reply. This workaround is just what I needed and is most welcome. I understand your warnings about system overload and will be very attentive to any signs of declining system performance.
        Considering that long-term charts are very important to some traders, maybe the developers could find a solution for those who do trade long term. Maybe a screen upon installation of NT with choices for long-term or short-term system setup. Or maybe upon saving a workspace initially you can be asked if the charts are for long-term use or short-term use. I'm sure the developers can find a solution for this very important issue.
        Anyways, thank-you again for your solution.

Comment

why would they ever have it delete the drawing automatically? I can delete them if I want them to be deleted...

Comment

I concur, I think the auto deleting of drawing objects should be disabled in future versions/releases of NT

Comment

Hello GlennL,

I will forward the suggestion to disable the deletion of drawing objects to development. Thank you for your feedback.
              JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This behavior where old drawing tools were removed after 20 days due to performance concerns in prior versions has been removed in NinjaTrader 8.

We may revisit another approach if we begin to run into the issues which originally prompted this sort of unpopular policy down the road, but for now - NinjaTrader 8 will not remove drawing objects until manually deleted.
                MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by DJ888, 04-16-2024, 06:09 PM
                4 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post DJ888
                by DJ888

Started by terofs, Today, 04:18 PM
                0 responses