Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IB as 2nd data feed causes freeze

FYI
    I connect to IB after connecting to my main data feed. The IB data (not available in the main feed) is sampled at 1 second intervals.

During fast markets (news-related volume bursts) the charts will freeze and NT says "not Responding". I have tried extending it to 2 second sampling, but same result.

When I disconnect the IB and refresh the charts, they no longer respond sluggishly or freeze like they do with the IB connection included.

NT ver 7.06, TWS 917.8.

Hello,

Thanks for the note.

Who is your primary data feed provider?

What instrument and expiry is this occurring on?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

FYI

I did some troubleshooting on my own today and discovered the following:

In a prior thread I had posted about a possible resource contention between my chart(s) and the T&S window

The above seems to be the case, as in stripping down the problem, I first removed the 2nd data feed (IB) to see the affect. The "Not Responding" problem seemed to go away for a while, but then came back.

I then started removing some indicators I thought might be at issue - again, no positive affects.

I then shut down my T&S window and replaced it with a coded alternative available in the forum.

The chart-freeze "Not Responding" problem appears to have stopped, even after adding back the IB feed.

The NT T&S issue was never addressed completely, There is no reason that F5 to refresh my frozen chart should also blank/refresh my T&S window - any more than refreshing one chart should auto-refresh any other open chart of the same symbol. IMO there is definitely a contention problem associated with the NT native T&S window.

My PC has more than enough RAM (only 30% used max at any time) and my multi-core chip can turbo 3 of its cores to 4.2 Ghz (I set Priority to High for NT and Affinity to the turbo-cores).

For me, the issue appears to be resolved, but for any one else who comes across a similar issue, you may want to look at the difference with your T&S window closed.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know.

I would not suspect this would be the issue here. I suspect another cause most liekly here.

Also, when you reload all historical data on one chart it will affect all instruments of the same instrument and chart type. This is expected and normal.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brett View Post
          Thanks for letting me know.

I would not suspect this would be the issue here. I suspect another cause most liekly here.

Also, when you reload all historical data on one chart it will affect all instruments of the same instrument and chart type. This is expected and normal.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
          Unfortunately the T&S window is the issue. When I hit F5 it merely recalcs the chart window currently in-focus. I am not even sure it reloads all the data in the window, but that is irrelevant.

If I hit F5 and ALL my other windows of the same symbol suddenly reloaded, that would no doubt be inappropriate. It just so happens that the "other" window in this case is the T&S window of the same symbol. It is still not normal behavior though.

As I said, I have a work-around for this, since the indicator in the forum that displays T&S directly on the chart does not produce the system degradation that the native NT T&S window does.

There is no explanation for this other than the T&S window is the root cause of the problem as the problem has now ceased.

Fortunately it is not a show-stopper, as NT is flexible enough to even have a work-around.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
          10 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Leafcutter  
          Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Max238