Range Bars Display Imaginary Volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Range Bars Display Imaginary Volume

When I display a 1-Range bar type, bars are displayed for which there is no volume.

Compare this 1-Range chart:

With this 1-Tick chart:

On both charts, I set the horizontal line spacing to 1-tick of price.

On the above 1-Tick chart, you can see that there are prices that are skipped, whereas with the 1-Range chart the interventing prices are filled in.

I like that, but the 1-Range should show zero volume for the bars that the 1-Tick chart was skipping.
    Attached Files

Hello KBJ,

I see, thank you for reporting. I can reproduce the same on my end - the substitute range bars that plot during price changes larger than 1 tick have a volume of 1.

I will forward your findings to development and ask if they can replace the 1 volume values by values of zero.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Unfortunately, NinjaTrader does not have a concept of zero volume values. Volume of 0 is replaced by a value of 1 by NinjaTrader. If a volume of 0 would be reported, it would throw off many internal NinjaTrader processes and cause many issues.

Comment

Advantages of Displaying Bad and Inaccurate Bar Volumes

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
        Unfortunately, NinjaTrader does not have a concept of zero volume values. Volume of 0 is replaced by a value of 1 by NinjaTrader. If a volume of 0 would be reported, it would throw off many internal NinjaTrader processes and cause many issues.
        Jason, Thanks for that info.

Could you please give some examples of the issues that we could expect to see happen when zero-volume bars are created?

I'm asking this because I've downloaded a couple of bar type definitions that apparently explicitly create zero-volume bars to fill in gaps when the price jumps.

The two bar types that I'm thinking of are NoGapRange bars and SbSRenko bars.

Both of these create zero-volume bars from time to time.

I didn't know that NinjaTrader intentionally reported a bad volume on their Range bar types.

Anyway, it makes me wonder exactly what the justification would be, so I know whether it would make sense to change these other bar type definitions so they also output bad volumes.

I didn't write these other bar types but I've figured out how to modify them. Could you please tell me the advantages of having them also display inaccurate volumes?

(I would like too know some specific examples of what the downside is on this. Is there some bug that manifests?)

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
          Hi Jason,

This is the VOL indicator or the chart types or both that has this modification?

Thanks,

RJay
          RJay
          NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Innovative Trading Solutions

Comment

Hello KBJ,

Unfortunately, I am not sure what issues you could experience. I will contact development for clarification.

@RJay, it refers to the VOL indicator and default bar types in NinjaTrader.

Comment

Development informed me it will throw off NinjaTrader internals which can manifest itself downstream in unpredictable manners. For example, it can cause issues with order execution in the simulator.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post algospoke  
              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
              3 responses
              0 likes