NT7 on a cloud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 on a cloud

Im having significant performance issues on NT7 while running some custom scripts. I looked into my internet connection and I have a slow one. I'm using Kinetick for my realtime feed and its taking me about 60ms to ping to their server. I have about 40ms latency to my broker for execution etc. And I have about 10MB for download and 1MB for upload. I'm using range based charts so in a fast market there are lot of bars being printed and charts are moving fast.

Is there a better way to manage this ? Does it make sense to run NT7 on a cloud ? the agent from rackspace.com claims 100MB connectivity but I havent been to test ping times to check latency. has anybody else tried this ?

What is considered acceptable (in terms of latency and internet download speed) for relatively high volume day trading scalping type strategies - generating about 40-50 trades in a day ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance for your help

buylosellhi, your numbers are very good internet numbers. The ping from the NinjaTrader office (Denver, CO) to the Zen-Fire servers, for example, is right around 90ms. Upload/download speeds don't matter as much as latency.

Perhaps you could look into optimizing your scripts.
    AustinNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by buylosellhi View Post
      Im having significant performance issues on NT7 while running some custom scripts. I looked into my internet connection and I have a slow one. I'm using Kinetick for my realtime feed and its taking me about 60ms to ping to their server. I have about 40ms latency to my broker for execution etc. And I have about 10MB for download and 1MB for upload. I'm using range based charts so in a fast market there are lot of bars being printed and charts are moving fast.

Is there a better way to manage this ? Does it make sense to run NT7 on a cloud ? the agent from rackspace.com claims 100MB connectivity but I havent been to test ping times to check latency. has anybody else tried this ?

What is considered acceptable (in terms of latency and internet download speed) for relatively high volume day trading scalping type strategies - generating about 40-50 trades in a day ?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
      thanks in advance for your help
      Those are pretty good numbers for any device that is not co-located.

As far as using the cloud, apart from issues with the MachineID, as you never know on which hardware in the cluster your virtual machine will be on, there is the simple issue of the fact that connectivity is serial and so is gated by the slowest link. Given your latency readings, I doubt that there is anything to be gained from running in the cloud.

100Mbps means nothing if your connection (the last mile) or any connection in between, can only handle 8Mbps (say): in which case, your speed will max out at 8Mbps.

Optimizing your scripts for speed might pay better dividends.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Irukandji, Today, 04:58 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Irukandji  
      Started by fitspressoburnfat, Today, 04:25 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes