Ninja lagging 20 seconds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja lagging 20 seconds

im using Ninja and Multicharts. (Ninja for trade entry, MC for charts)
    Both are on the same pc and are using the same datafeed (zenfire)

see in below video how data on Ninja chart and Dom is sometimes more then 20 seconds behind the Multicharts chart (black background).

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

this lagging is not only from today but i see this the last few days again and again,

any ideas?

Hello,

Thanks for the forum post.

Can you please open a time and sales window for the instrument and then make sure your local PC clock is in sync and is correct on your PC.

Finally, can you please go to the windows task manager and let me take a look at the ninjatrader.exe processor usage in the processor list and also let me take a look at the performance tab in the windows task manager while the lag is occuring in one more video.

If you can make one more video of this I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comment

tx for reply.

system time is correct
      volume is less then in previous video but you can still see a little (2 second) lag when price is moving quickly.
      Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

Comment

Hello,

A 1 second delay could be expected here due to chart refresh interval in NinjaTrader charts.

Therefor this comparison in the last video most likely I cannot send into development and zenfire support.

Can you please keep an eye on this moving forward. Let me know if this gets above a > 5 second delay like you had before and then check send one more screenshot of the performance tab in the windows task manager.

Thanks.

Comment

Also would be better if we compared time and sales windows directly.

Comment

even a 1 sec delay isnt correct imo....

Comment

.5 sec delay is standard chart refresh rate in NinjaTrader. It could appear there is a 1 second delay when there actually isnt. Its simply too close to call with chart refresh rate inside of NinjaTrader intervals factored in is why my product manager wanted to see a little larger delay or a comparison of time and sales windows.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by O66-nl View Post
                im using Ninja and Multicharts. (Ninja for trade entry, MC for charts)
                Both are on the same pc and are using the same datafeed (zenfire)

see in below video how data on Ninja chart and Dom is sometimes more then 20 seconds behind the Multicharts chart (black background).

this lagging is not only from today but i see this the last few days again and again,

any ideas?
                My understanding of MC is that it is interpreted tokenized code (like TS) processed thru an engine at runtime, It was how old TS used to get around having to strongly-type variable declarations, among other things. Since Ninja is compiled, it should make NT faster.

Comment

believe what you want but imo Ninja trader is slow and lagging compared to MC (at least it is on my system)
                  be carefull with the current volatile market, lagging can cost you...

Comment

believe what you want but imo Ninja trader is slow and lagging compared to MC (at least it is on my system)
                    be carefull with the current volatile market, lagging can cost you...
                    That well may be, but we must take into account the reality of hardware. The truth is that there is no such thing as multitasking in the true sense, even though all of us IT professionals use the term all the time. What it always has been is time-slicing, where the system gives control of the processor to one program at a time. Even in a preemptive multitasking operating system, only one program can have control of a CPU at any one time. There is simply no way around this: it is a physical limitation arising from the need for all programs to use the same registers for operation. Which program gets control and how often, depends on the operating system. What has happened is that our CPUs are now so fast, that MOST OF THE TIME, things look simultaneous.

There is only a single display channel to any monitor, and all applications must use that channel when the system gives them control of the channel. The net effect is that once the system passes a load point where transition times can be significant, you will see display differences between programs that are displaying data from the same source, as each can only display the data when it has control of the display channel.

Given your particular situation, I am pretty certain that if the ONLY things you had running were 1 NT chart and 1 MC chart, and nothing else at all, the display difference would be undetectable, as with such a small load, the time-slice switching will be extremely fast. You will then notice that as you increase the load on the system with more and more things running, the display difference will begin to be noticeable at some point.

Comment

why is mc showing the data about 20 seconds earlier on the same system ?

Good luck with your trading and Ninja, i dont trust it anymore.

Comment

why is mc showing the data about 20 seconds earlier on the same system ?

Good luck with your trading and Ninja, i dont trust it anymore.
                        In this post: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...54&postcount=6, you talked of a 1 second delay. I was responding to that.

A 20 sec delay will almost always show a pegged CPU, meaning that something (yes, it could be NT itself), is hogging the CPU and forcing the operating system to preempt it. Forced preemption is only marginally better than when an application in cooperatively multitasked systems hogs the processor.

We need to find out what is actually hogging the processor. Display delays are caused by the errant processor hog, not necessarily by the application showing the delay, unless, of course, that application is itself the processor hog.

I was having my own problems with NT and the CQG feed, so I have stopped trading it live anyway. Then I had problems with NT on the Sim account too, so we are looking into those before I even think of committing money again to the market. But I love the custom indicator capabilities, and how they help pinpoint my decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
                          In this post: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...54&postcount=6, you talked of a 1 second delay. I was responding to that.

Display delays are caused by the errant processor hog, not necessarily by the application showing the delay, unless, of course, that application is itself the processor hog.

The screen update issue has many possible sources. One is the efficiency of how screen update code is written. If there are inefficiencies in any "Draw" methods (arrows, regions, rectangles) then the problems would compound the more you use them.

Also the ability to use multi-core processors might be an issue. My understanding is that NT single-threads all live chart updates. Not sure about MC.

Edit:
                          One of the things I noticed about the T&S window when running on an older notebook was that the entire window appears to blank/refresh and get painted again - making it appear to "flicker". A substitute T&S downloaded elsewhere has the rows updating like a scrolling ticker down the screen without the flicker, which makes me think it is doing screen updates more efficiently.
                          Last edited by Tarkus11; 08-11-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post aa731
                          by aa731

Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes