Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT7 continues to freeze

Hello,

I have an Inspiron 580 processor 550 @ 3.2 GHz, 6 GB of ram.

My neighbor has the same setup as me, computer, NT7, indicators, internet connection, ZF feed, and he actually has a few more charts up than I do. He has experienced no freezing. But I on the other hand have had NT7 lock up on my many times in the past few days during high volume periods. I have had to shut it down and restart it twice in the last two days during the trading session. The problem has seemed to get worse as well, today I have had about 10 freezes for as long as 10 seconds. The issue is not with my machine, nor my connection. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to fix this?

Thanks.

Hello,

Thanks for the post sorry to hear of the freeze.

Can you please explain the freeze a bit more.

Are the NinjaTrader windows responsive or do they say not responding? Can you move the superDOM or chart around when this happens or also non responsive.

Does NinjaTrader shutdown on its own or do you force it down?

What custom third party indicators do you have loaded on your charts you use?

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

When it freezes I cannot move charts or interact with charts in any way. Occasionally i get the (not responding) at the top of the chart. I am able to do other stuff on my computer during the freeze, which tells me it is solely NT that is freezing.
      I do force a shut down when the thing just won't respond after several minutes.

I use GOM volume profile indicators, but as I stated before, my friend has all the same indicators and is running smoothly.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for that information.

This means that you have an indicator that is too calculation heavy or not programmed correctly most likely in this case.

As this fits in exactly with the PC not able to process the ticks needed and the window will go not responding until its able to get caught up again.

Would also line up with the fact that it would only occur on tick heavy news releases.

You have a couple options to attempt to resolve this.

1) How many charts do you have open with this indicator total? We can try reducing this.

2) If your on zenfire we can switch to an aggregation server that would aggregate the number of ticks you receive. To see if this will stops the issue, if you would like to try this momentairly please let me know I'll include instructions. However I know with the GOMI stuff this may not be wanted and would only be a test.

Comment

Brett, thanks for your help.

My friend has about 11 charts up with GOMI indicators on them. I only have GOMI stuff on 5 charts. This was never a problem several weeks ago, even during news. Plus the problem appears to have gotten worse. Today I can notice a significant difference compared to yesterday even though today is less hectic. Every time the market moves quickly today, my charts are freezing. yesterday, I only experienced issues during FOMC release.

Is there anything else that could be an issue?

Comment

there could be many other differences between the two PC's. We most focus on your PC only and whats going on in it.

Lets start, by removing the gomi indicators from the 5 charts. Then testing for a few minutes. Any lag?

Thanks.

Comment

I have also experienced slowness recently, but there are some things to look at in trouble-shooting.

1) Boot Windows and look at your Event Manager - make sure there are no Windows-based errors on a simple boot-up to eliminate Windows conflicts as a problem source.
              2) If your friend has no problems using Gomi indicators, you should look at HOW he is using them - vanilla or as an input to another indicator? If he is using them differently than you, there may be an issue.
              3) How many of his other indicators are set to CalculateOnBarClose = true vs your setup? Gomi must update every tick but what about other indicators?
              4) Temporarily disable your anti-virus during trouble shooting - and don't browse the web on that PC while it is turned off.
              5) Monitor you network connection with Windows Task Manager - Check your throughput off-hours with SpeedTest. Make sure you are not getting connection drops.

If you find something amiss, please post back since most people end up discovering a misconfiguration of some sort and would learn from what you found.
              Last edited by Tarkus11; 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Thank you both for your help. i will mess with those things after the close. I was also advised to "Repair Database" under tools. I disconnected and did that, and everything is running smoothly now. No freezes on big moves so far.

Does it make sense that this would fix the problem?

Comment

I would not expect this to make any difference here.As no data is stored in the database.

-Brett

Comment

time display on bottom of es 578,340 tick charts

How do I change the bottom of charts so I get time displayed in minutes.

Comment

Hi rcon62,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please provide me with an image of your chart?

To send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CRTL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and upload the file as an attachment to your next forum post.
                      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

when i go to reduce a chart from a small chart to just a tool bar by grabbing the border,the entire computer freezes

Comment

Hello,

Does this only occur on a chart window? Does the same occur for the control center or for a market analyzer window?

Do you have any indicators applied to this chart? Can you reproduce without these indicators added?
                          MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

nt freezes pc

i have volume on the charts no other ,cept prior day oHLC etc.

if i grab the chart carefully ,these are small charts i am trying to reduce to a tool bar,grab carefully by the corner,no problem but at the top or bottom,computer freezes

Comment

Please send me your log and trace files for today so that I may look into what occurred.

You can do this by going to the Control Center-> Help-> Mail to Support.

Please reference the following url in the body of the email:

MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Javierw.ok  
                              Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes