Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Downloading ASX stock data from my esignal connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downloading ASX stock data from my esignal connection?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help in letting me know how I can open a chart of a ASX stock through my Esignal connection.
    I have successfully connected to Esignal by adding a Esignal connection
    ( I subscribe to Esignal on demand delayed data)
    I have tried importing a list of ASX stocks, I get a message saying that the import was successful, but when I try opening a ASX stock chart it appears blank.
    I have attached a screen shot of the details I enter when trying to import a list of ASX stocks
    (note I have tried many different separators including , ,; ; space to no avail)
    I’m wondering what am I missing?
    Also does one have to import a list of stocks, is there any way to open an ASX chart from a signal connection without this process, otherwise every time a new stock is added to trading I will have to import a symbol for it manually?
    Thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Hi [email protected],

You can use that technique to import a list of symbols, but unfortunately this does not setup the mapping exactly as you may need them. To check mapping, Click Tools > Instrument Manager > Search for a symbol and Edit, then click Misc. You need to verify that the mappings for esignal are what's expected in order to view data, and this is set per instrument.

Note:You must have eSignal 10.6.2124 installed - Download

Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

ASX Symbol Mapping

Hi Ryan,
      Thanks for your response

I have now imported the list of stocks and have changed the mapping for a few of them to –ASX which is the correct mapping for ASX stocks from Esignal eg. MQG-ASX

However doing this individually in the instrument manager is at best impractical and possibly not feasible as some of the ASX stocks seem to be getting mixed up with US stocks even though I have created a separate list for ASX stocks.

For example if I would like to change the mapping for a stock with a symbol of CAH after doing a search in the Instrument manager I get CAH Cardinal Health which is a US stock

The Australian CAH does not show at all

How can I change the mapping for all ASX stocks to –ASX in one go as it is simply not practical to do this on an individual basis for over 2000 stocks and as I mentioned possibly not feasible as some of the Australian stock symbols are getting overridden or mixed up in the instrument manager with US stock symbols?

Comment

Glad to hear you got some ASX data and thanks for the feedback. Using the instrument manager is the only way to specify the symbol mappings for a given instrument. There's unfortunately no way for NT to automatically know the mappings for all esignal @ASX shares.
        Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

befuddled

Ryan I’m not sure if I made my self clear. Are you saying that the only way that I can get the proper mapping for ASX stocks or any stocks for that matter is to do it stock by stock on an individual basis???

Is this Ninja trader’s solution for importing a stock list? if it is than its completely redundant as it would take forever to do this stock by stock?

Surely you do not expect your clients to go through one by one for thousands of stocks and change the mapping for each one individually??? If that’s the case Ninja Trader is simply not usable for stocks.

Also if there is no way to batch assign an exchange why does the import utility have a function that asks to specify an exchange and has a list of all exchanges?

I’m completely befuddled that a program such as Ninja Trader with its programming ability doesn’t have the capability to complete a simple process such as importing a stock list that can be used for charting.

If I cannot find a solution to this that the only logical answer is that Ninja Trader is not usable for stocks and I will have to switch to another program.

I know this is not your fault, but if you could ask your supervisor for some kind of solution it would be much appreciated.

Comment

Since I am new on this thread as well as new on the forum I don,t know yet how to participate and communicate. I think I need to adjust first.

Comment

Sorry for any frustration with the instrument manager. You're right, the exchange can be batch assisgned when using File > Utilties > Import Stock symbol list. I corrected my earlier post.

However, there's no way for it to know the exact mappings for esignal, which is what you seem to be looking for. If the eSignal mapping is different than the name, you will have to manually adjust this.
              Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 08-16-2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

esignal data feed

I am still completely puzzled. Ninja Trader advertises its self that it’s a program that can be used for stocks, but your saying there is no way to change the mapping manually on a group of stocks???

So the only way for a client to do this is to do it, stock by stock for 2500 stocks. Is this correct???

Comment

Yes, there's a lot of potential to add on to NinjaTrader. The default installation does not come preconfigured for ASX stocks. If you want to add components like additional instruments, will have to work within the interface to do this. Yes, this means each stock may need to be configured separately.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by habeebft, Today, 07:27 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_ChristopherS  
                  Started by AveryFlynn, Today, 04:57 AM
                  1 response
                  0 likes