Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Lost" databox

Hello,

I can't seem to access the databox anymore.

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that I restored a backup of NT on a new computer - the old one had 2 monitors, and the databox may have been on the 2nd screen when I did the backup.
    Now, regardless of what workspace I am working in (including new ones that were not in the backup), calling the databox creates the databox window (I can see it as a new NT window in the Windows taskbar) but it won't display. Trying to "move" it or "size" it by right clicking on the taskbar's icon sets my cursor on the edge of my screen, but the databox cannot be retrieved..

Short of deleting my backup and starting from scratch, is there a way I can retrieve it?

Thank you

PS: mini databox works fine

Hi farang,

Thanks for your post.

Please shut down NinjaTrader, then open the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Workspaces folder.

In that folder, you'll find a file named '_Workspaces'. Please delete that folder, then restart NinjaTrader and open the data box again.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That did not work.
      I only deleted the FILE _Workspaces, not the FOLDER- I assume this was what you meant - you post said to delete the folder, but wouldn't that delete all my workspaces?

Comment

Hi farang,

Thanks for trying that - you completed the procedure correctly.

Do you still have access to the other PC by any chance? The easiest thing to do would probably be move the box on that PC, then run another backup/restore.

Comment

I was afraid you were going to say that. Unfortunately, I have made a lot of changes since, so what I'll have to do is backup the current version, restore it on the previous PC, move the databox, back that up, and restore it back on the new one...
          I was hoping for an easier way that would not force me to disconnect for so long - well, thank you nevertheless.
          I may try to connect another monitorfirst, which I can do with NT running - but it won't be the same connection, so not sure it will work.

Comment

Hi farang,

Actually, connecting the other monitor should work if that's an option for you. That would at least allow you to find and move the box without the extra hassle of backing up and restoring - good thinking!

Comment

It was an option very low on my list because of practical reasons, but for information, to anyone with the same issue - it was indeed the problem and it worked. I may have damaged my wall paint, but I could keep the strategies running ...

Comment

I have also experienced the disappearance of the Data Box and I've had no luck in finding it.

If you had the option to select Minimize/Maximize from the right click option, as per all other windows, it would be really easy to find and re-position.

Could this not be implemented?

Comment

Hello TraderOwl,

Thanks for your post.

I will forward that suggestion on to our development staff for further consideration.

In the meantime, please shut down NinjaTrader, then open the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Workspaces folder.

In that folder, you'll find a file named '_Workspaces'. Please delete that folder, then restart NinjaTrader and open the data box again.

Comment

I had followed all of the previous threads prior to posting my earlier comment.

Deleting the _Workspaces file didn't work.

I am probably in the minority, as I'm running NinjaTrader on Windows 7 in a Parallels Virtual Machine on a MacBook Pro with an external monitor. In Full Screen mode and Coherence Mode the Data Box was hidden from view of either monitor and using the right click options of Move & Size didn't help, if I closed the Data Box and requested to Show Data Box it was still hidden from view.

My only workaround, was to switch to Window mode, which then put all of my chart windows and the control centre window on top of each other, I could then drag the Data Box on top of those, which when I reverted back to Full Screen mode I then had to lay out my screen again including the Data Box.

All this could have been avoided if the Data Box window had the same controls from the right click menu as all other NT7 windows. I'm assuming there's good reason why it doesn't have those controls, if so, then maybe that should be a configurable option.

Comment

There is another way to move a window that is not in the visible screen area. Try to right click on the item/window in the task bar and choose move. Your cursor should change to a plus in some corner of the screen. Dont touch the mouse, instead use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the window into the visible screen area. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by giulyko00, Today, 12:03 PM
                      0 responses
                      1 view
                      0 likes
                      Last Post giulyko00  
                      Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                      12 responses
                      0 likes