Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intraday Real Time Chart problem - indicators show late

Dear Sir,
    I am puzzled how to show indicators on Intraday chart from beginning. I mean, when market opens I open the chart - at 9.15 a.m.. but no indicators are visible on chart till late, not even EMI (5) on a One-minute chart. Indicators start getting visible only after 20 candles .. that means - on 5-min chart indicators become visible after 100 minutes (20candles x 5) and on 3-min chart they become visible after an hour. That is troublesome - how can I do trading in the beginning hours if indicators take so much time to be visible? I tried with indicators like RSI (14), Stochs (14,3) CCI (14) and EMI ( 5/13 ). None start showing on chart till after 20 candles of price move. Perhaps there is something seriously wrong in my setting or the way I am doing thing. I am using Ninjatrader 7 with yahoo connection for Real time Intraday chart - getting data regularly without delay. But somehow indicators do not show up. Please Help so that I could get indicators working from the very beginning (as I see on most charts). Hope I expressed my problem clearly. Please guide me.

ManuAdam, this would unfortunately be expected, this is the so called unstable period of 20 bars at the beginning of the chart for that indicators are per default not displayed to give them time to catchup. To workaround you would need to connect to feed offering a historical intraday data backfill so you could load a little more data then needed to start trading on your current day. Our preferred provider of high quality data for NT7 would be Kinetick - www.kinetick.com
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
      ManuAdam, this would unfortunately be expected, this is the so called unstable period of 20 bars at the beginning of the chart for that indicators are per default not displayed to give them time to catchup. To workaround you would need to connect to feed offering a historical intraday data backfill so you could load a little more data then needed to start trading on your current day. Our preferred provider of high quality data for NT7 would be Kinetick - www.kinetick.com
      Sir, Thanks for Quick Response. At BigMikeTrading (a great resource centre for Ninjatrader related queries) I was told that "By increasing the number of days to load" I may perhaps show chart from the beginning. Is it true? How many days should I increase and why is it so?
      It was also suggested there : "You would just need to add BarsRequired = 0 in the Initialize() section of the indicator, to display the values beginning with the first candle". Plz tell me Is it right way to show indicators? How will indicator then calculate without prior bars ( as I guessed by BarsRequired he meant "Maximum Bars look back" in Indicator setting under data - which is set at TwoHundredFiftySix by default. Isn't it?

Well I do understand the limitations but being more clear about Intraday chart setting will help me and other fellow members who are also new in this field. Plz help and guide a little more.

Comment

Hello,

I would not expect increasing the days to load on your yahoo connection to plot the data.

The issue is due to the lack of intraday historical data offered by Yahoo. Although you can get real-time ticks using the connection, it will not backfill any missing historical data. This means in order for the indicator to calculate, you would need at least 20 bars of real-time data. Yahoo will only send historical EOD data such as daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

As suggested, you could also change the bars required, however if there is no historical data to calculate from your indicator might not calculate as expected. Ensuring you have at least 20 bars on the chart should give you the correct calculations as the indicator was designed.

If you require these indicators to work on an intraday level in real-time, it would be best to subscribe to a data provider who offers real-time intraday minute or tick data

Click here for more information on the varying levels of data of our supported connectivity providers
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Bertrand View Post
          I'm running into the same issue, and want to make sure I clearly understand what is said.

So, no matter what the indicator... by default .. they will not show until 20 bars have completed?

Comment

dojidubbs,

By default, NinjaTrader's definition for a stable indicator is 20 historical bars and is suggested for proper calculation of your indicators.
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thx. I see the issue I'm dealing with has been around on the threads for over two years. I'll move futher discussion on this item over into the comments and suggestions thread.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by aa731, Today, 02:54 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post aa731
              by aa731

Started by thanajo, 05-04-2021, 02:11 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes