Boot Drive Problem Due to NT Adding 1000's of Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Drive Problem Due to NT Adding 1000's of Files

My Windows PC running NT has become unusable due to the addition of 20,000+ NT files on the boot drive filling up the Windows boot drive MFT. I recently began using NT and was impressed by the sophistication of the program. After adding the symbols I use and attaching to IB the PC slowed to such a crawl it was nearly unusable. Upon investigation, I found that the problem was due to NT storing its files on the Windows boot drive. Considering the Windows application development tenet that precludes the storage of application files on the Windows boot drive I found that all of a sudden I wasn't so impressed. Upon requesting assistance in moving the files off the boot drive I learned:
    Unfortunately, the NinjaTrader 7 file and NinjaTrader Back up file will have to be loaded onto your boot drive. NinjaTrader does not support these files from other locations at this time. You will need to have these files stored on your local boot drive in your Documents folder. Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Other Windows application developers who ignore the development rule mentioned above at least provide a Windows login script that redirectes the poorly placed files to another, larger drive that is installed to hold application files. Would any other NT user happen to have a Windows login script that redirects application files from the boot drive to another drive? Would the Ninjatrader development or support staff happen to have the ability to develop a Windows login script that redirects their application files from the boot drive to another drive?

In the corporate world these scripts come on each users PC to redirect the 'My Documents' directory from the boot drive to another larger drive to support the periodic imaging of the company standard boot drive for backup and security purposes. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in the corporate world and don't have access to a Windows login script that redirects boot drive files to another drive. My boot drive is 'F:' and my target drive is 'H:'. If Ninjatrader or anyone else can provide Windows login script that redirects files it would be nice if the boot drive letter and the target drive letter were user suppliable. Using such a script will enable all NT users to experience a much better performing PC.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hello upatick,

I will forward your suggestion to support a Windows login script to redirect application files to development. Thank you for your feedback.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

We have added the suggestion of supporting a Windows login script in our tracking system for possible future enhancements. It is assigned to ID# 1238.
      JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by upatick View Post
        My Windows PC running NT has become unusable due to the addition of 20,000+ NT files on the boot drive filling up the Windows boot drive MFT. I recently began using NT and was impressed by the sophistication of the program. After adding the symbols I use and attaching to IB the PC slowed to such a crawl it was nearly unusable. Upon investigation, I found that the problem was due to NT storing its files on the Windows boot drive. Considering the Windows application development tenet that precludes the storage of application files on the Windows boot drive I found that all of a sudden I wasn't so impressed. Upon requesting assistance in moving the files off the boot drive I learned:
        Unfortunately, the NinjaTrader 7 file and NinjaTrader Back up file will have to be loaded onto your boot drive. NinjaTrader does not support these files from other locations at this time. You will need to have these files stored on your local boot drive in your Documents folder. Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Other Windows application developers who ignore the development rule mentioned above at least provide a Windows login script that redirectes the poorly placed files to another, larger drive that is installed to hold application files. Would any other NT user happen to have a Windows login script that redirects application files from the boot drive to another drive? Would the Ninjatrader development or support staff happen to have the ability to develop a Windows login script that redirects their application files from the boot drive to another drive?

In the corporate world these scripts come on each users PC to redirect the 'My Documents' directory from the boot drive to another larger drive to support the periodic imaging of the company standard boot drive for backup and security purposes. Unfortunately, I'm no longer in the corporate world and don't have access to a Windows login script that redirects boot drive files to another drive. My boot drive is 'F:' and my target drive is 'H:'. If Ninjatrader or anyone else can provide Windows login script that redirects files it would be nice if the boot drive letter and the target drive letter were user suppliable. Using such a script will enable all NT users to experience a much better performing PC.

Thank you for your assistance.
        You can always just move the "My Documents" folder to another drive. Unfortunately, that moves everything that goes into the "My Documents", not just the NT stuff.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920  
        Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post wzgy0920