Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

CalcOnBarClose = false... does it update on every tick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalcOnBarClose = false... does it update on every tick?

I have a question:

If you place an indicator on a chart, and set the CalcOnBarClose setting to False, will the indicator calculate on every single tick that is received, or will it calculate only when the chart actually refreshes? For example, under the Properties tab, if I set the Display Update interval to 60 seconds, I'd like to know if an indicator with Calculate on Bar Close = false will recalculate every 60 seconds when the chart is refreshed, or on every tick. It makes a big difference to performance... thanks!

I don't think your display refresh interval has anything to do with it.

It will be for each tick.

Reading the documentation:

CalculateOnBarClose

Definition
    If true, OnBarUpdate() is called on the close of each bar otherwise it is called on each incoming tick. This property should ONLY be set in an Initialize() method and be the last statement within that method.

·
    ·

Tips
    1. Calculating indicators or systems for each incoming tick can be CPU intensive. Only calculate indicators on each incoming tick if you have a requirement to calculate it intra bar.

Originally posted by JS999 View Post
    I have a question:

If you place an indicator on a chart, and set the CalcOnBarClose setting to False, will the indicator calculate on every single tick that is received, or will it calculate only when the chart actually refreshes? For example, under the Properties tab, if I set the Display Update interval to 60 seconds, I'd like to know if an indicator with Calculate on Bar Close = false will recalculate every 60 seconds when the chart is refreshed, or on every tick. It makes a big difference to performance... thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the response... that kind of sucks. I would suggest to NT that they look into possibly making an indicator setting that allows you to refresh it only when the chart refreshes. It seems kind of pointless to refresh an indicator every tick if the chart it is displayed on only refreshes every 60 seconds... so what about it NT, is that something you might consider? Thanks!

Comment

Hello JS999,

Thank you for your posts.

Looks like sledge answered your question correctly.

I will take this suggestion and forward it to our Development Team.
        CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cameron View Post
          Hello JS999,

Thank you for your posts.

Looks like sledge answered your question correctly.

I will take this suggestion and forward it to our Development Team.
          Thanks Cameron... I would seriously consider this feature if I were you guys... one of the complaints some people used to have was the overall performance of NT, and often times people do put their indicators to Calculate on Bar Close to False... it just makes sense that the indicator shouldn't be calculating more often than the chart is repainting, and seems like a hidden waste of CPU cycles that could be improved. Thanks!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by llanqui, Yesterday, 09:59 AM
          5 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post llanqui
          by llanqui

Started by quicksandatl, Today, 01:39 PM
          1 response
          1 view