Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimizer > save results > crash

Dear support,

NT7 crashed systematically when trying to save the results after optimizing a strategy.

The optimizer works find and produced results after 30'. Then I tried to save and after a few minutes, the RAM memory consumption jumps to 1.2 GB, the application stopped responding and finally crashed.

I am not what I can provide to help you helping me :-)

Cheers,

Ch90

Hello Ch90,

Can you please send me your log and trace files for the day the crash occurred last. Log and trace file files can be found at the following locations.

C:\-->Users-->*Windows user account*-->(My) Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Log--> log.20110919 for today. (log.yyyymmdd for any other date)

C:\-->Users-->*Windows user account*-->(My) Documents--> NinjaTrader 7--> Trace--> trace.20110919 for today. (trace.yyyymmdd for any other date)

Please send them to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com. Put 'Attn Jason' in the subject header and reference this forum thread.

Am I correct the crash only occurs when saving results of that particular optimization? If you optimize the SampleMACrossOver strategy and save those results, the crash does not happen.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It says "NT needs to shut down since your PC has run out of memory". My Windows 7 pro still says I've above 1GB of physical memory left.

I'll send you the files by email and will try the macdcrossver. Right now is it my custom strategy that crashes.

Cheers,

Ch90

Comment

Hello Ch90,

Thank you for sending the files.

Your trace file lists the following crash.

2011-09-19 10:38:41:502 *************** unhandled exception trapped ***************
        2011-09-19 10:38:41:502 Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

It indicates NinjaTrader was requesting too much resources from your PC at that time. I assume the optimization produced such many results, it takes too much resources trying to save them all.

What happens if you perform an optimization on less historical data and try to save the results?

Do you have a 32 or 64 bit operating system? If you have 64 bit, please run NinjaTrader in 64 bit and check if the crash persists.

Comment

Thank you Jason,

I've tried the same using the simple macdcrossover stragegy with a limited # of stocks, shorter time frame, etc.

It worked well even if it took a few minutes to save the results.

Strange intuitively I would have said that if it survives the test then it should be fast and easy to save the results.

FYI I've a 32-bit system, dual core 2.7 Ghz, 4gb of ram. Not a beast but a decent PC I guess.

Hope it helps,

Ch90

Comment

I see, thank you for clarifying.

When running a 32 bit system, each process can only use so much RAM (unfortunately I not sure how much exactly). Unfortunately, saving the optimization results exceeds this limit and crashes NinjaTrader.

I am not quite sure why the optimization test is accomplished while saving its results is not.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by GLFX005, Today, 03:23 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post GLFX005
            by GLFX005

Started by XXtrader, Yesterday, 11:30 PM