Installing Ninja on C drive, Data on another physical Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Ninja on C drive, Data on another physical Drive

I have just got a new trading machine. loaded 7.7 . My program files are on C: and My Documents are on Z: a separate physical drive. Ninja installed itself in the C; drive, The data logs has an error line that Ninja cannot find the user directory on C: in My documents.
    I have a SS drive for C: and a spin drive for Z:. Can I load Ninja program on C: and have the data files on Z:? Must they be in the same physical drive?
    thank you for any help,
    Shamal

I do this with no problem with Win7. My Documents are on a mechanical while my boot drive is on a SSD. As long as Windows knows your Documents are assigned to another drive you should have no problems.

Dan
    eDanny
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Danny: That is exactly my setup, except this yellow highlighted note on the log files of Ninja, saying cannot find user directory on C:? Windows knows where My Docs are, everything is working fine, including Ninja, just have this error file, and no logs being written. I copied over My Docs from the old drive, it has a Ninja folder in there, with an older version of Ninja install files in it. Could that be "fooling" Ninja ?
      Thank you for any further thoughts.

Comment

Hello,

The only requirement is that your program files and your user directory is stored on a local disk. The only instances where this would contribute to issues and prevent NinjaTrader from working correctly is if your user directory was installed to a network share.

Where is your Documents target location? That is, when you click on Start--> Documents where does this default to?
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Matthew: Thank you for your help. All my drives are physically located on my machine, I'm a trader working at home.
          . It defaults to Libraries which are located on Z: The Libraries folder list has a D... at the the top, but the actual address is Z:.
          I am new to Win 7 , but so far have found it very easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by shamal View Post
            Danny: That is exactly my setup, except this yellow highlighted note on the log files of Ninja, saying cannot find user directory on C:? Windows knows where My Docs are, everything is working fine, including Ninja, just have this error file, and no logs being written. I copied over My Docs from the old drive, it has a Ninja folder in there, with an older version of Ninja install files in it. Could that be "fooling" Ninja ?
            Thank you for any further thoughts.
            It is not sufficient to just move the files; you must use Windows to redirect the "My Documents" folder to a different drive, or if you are really adventurous, you can mount a new partition as the Ninja folder.

Comment

shamal,

As koganan mentioned, you should redirect your Documents location to the correct drive. I'm including a link from Microsoft to assist in doing this:

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

You may need to reinstall NinjaTrader once this change has been made.

Comment

Windows did redirect the My Documents folder, it knows where it is.
                Thanks you for your reply.

Comment

Matthew: Thank you, this is all correct, Windows knows where the folder is, the properties correctly indicate the Z: drive.

Comment

Hello,

Did you make this change after NinjaTrader was installed? If that is the case, you may need to reinstall NinjaTrader to ensure it is installing to the correct drive.

There are likley some references left over from a previous installation which is pointing toward the C drive.

Comment

No the machine was built with the setup I've described, specifically for trading.. I've just unistalled and reinstalled Ninja to make sure. How shall I test this log file writing?
                      I just fired up Ninja. checked the logs and it's still there as follows
                      Could not find NinjaTrader user Directory [C:/Users/Owner/My Documents/NinjaTrader7]
                      Thank you
                      Last edited by shamal; 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hello shamal,

Are you receiving any errors on the log tab of the control center?

If you check your most recent trace file, it should list the "UserDir" it is currently installed at.

Comment

A trace file was written this am at startup in the correct drive. Z; , in the Ninja folder.

Comment

Yes the error message quoted is from that file. The trace file was written this am at startup, on the Z: drive in the correct folder, with the Ninja files.

Comment

Thanks for checking.

This is telling us that NInjaTrader is correctly installed to the Z: drive. As for the errors you were receiving, they could be coming from a 3rd party indicator that reference a sound file or a txt file which was pointing to the C: drive. Is there anything installed which might be doing so?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:29 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ScottWalsh  
                              Started by rtwave, 04-12-2024, 09:30 AM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes