Collapse

Installing Ninja on C drive, Data on another physical Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matthew: I just realized you may not know the error file I'm referring to is in the Log Tab of the Control Centre.
    I have one set of third parties installed, I just reinstalled them, after reinstalling Ninja,, they correctly identified the drive and location of Ninja as Z:, no problems on the install and they have been working perfectly, as has Ninja, except I happen to notice this error line in the log file
    Just fired up Ninja again and the error is still there after reinstalling the indicator package. I checked the indicator,turned off the sound switch, just in case. I will present the question to the developer of the indicator and see if they've had any issues with this.
    There is very little on this machine, it's just for trading.

I noticed that all the Ninja and Zen Fire trace logs are correctly placed in the trace folder on the Z: drive, and have been written each day since the machine was fired up last week.
    Last edited by shamal; 09-20-2011, 03:36 PM.

Comment

I believe you will need to open any indicator and right click in the window and select References. You will need to change all your old references to the C: drive Documents to the new drive letter and then delete all the obsolete references. This happened because you copied your Documents folder to the new drive and the references still point to your C: drive.

Dan
      eDanny
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

Dan: Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the indicators from the developer after loading the machine to avoid that error. I did notice the indicator referenced itself to the Z: drive, but as Matthew mentioned there may be an issue in the code with regards to running the program on C: It's true as you say, I copied all my docs from the XP to the 7 machine, but hoped to avoid those referencing issues by starting fresh with both Ninja and the indicators. I've emailed the developer to ask if this issue has come up with any other users, just to cover all the bases.
        I believe you are saying to right click on the chart and go into the indicator, then right click again but there is no reference ? Duh,,, I just realized you meant edit the script, which I cannot do in proprietary indicators.
        Thank you and Matthew for taking the time, I feel like a bit of a pain. Ninja has basically run flawlessly for me, I've not had to ask for much help.
        Last edited by shamal; 09-20-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Shamal, I meant to say open any indicator for editing and right click in the edit window, It could be your reference to \Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\NinjaTrader.Vendor.dll is still set to your C: drive.

Dan
          eDanny

Comment

Danny: I checked the included indicators and the last line of code clearly references the Z: drive for the Vendor dll's. I think that part is right, thank you for your thoughts. I just got an email from the indicator vendor and it's a first for them. I'm guessing their dll's are set for a C: drive only install, as Matthew was thinking. Am going to test an install of Ninja 7 32 bit without these custom indicators and see if the error can be reproduced.
            Many thanks, will report back.

Comment

OK everyone here's the deal:
              I ran Ninja in 32 bit mode ( used another set-up to eliminate any unknown variables ) without any indicators and the error does not show up. That means to me, it's the indicator's dll's are not writing to the Z: drive. Thank you to everyone who posted here, Special thanks to Matthew for jumping in and pointing the way. As always I learn a lot from our mistakes !
              hope this helps, the developer will fix this.

Comment

shamal,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear you were able to sort it out.
                MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

I think I see what the problem was. The indicator in question must be using its own installer instead of letting you import it. The installer thinks your Documents folder is on the C: drive. That would be my guess.

Dan
                  eDanny

Comment

Dan: There is a bit more to it. The installer is well written, it detects the ninja files on Z:, but is trying to write to C:, the dll's need to be written to follow the ninja install, not default to C, is my guess.: The developer did not anticipate this type of setup, but my experience is that it is not uncommon amongst traders and many serious computer builders. I explained the advantages of separating Windows from data, I've had machines over the years set up to do this. And as you know, once you separate Windows on an SS drive, life takes a very pleasant turn, ( with a big bunch of RAM and 64 bits too , of course !!)
                    Thank you for your interest, hope this helps.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by wzgy0920, 04-20-2024, 06:09 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920  
                    Started by wzgy0920, 02-22-2024, 01:11 AM
                    5 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post wzgy0920