Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

On-close-window save workspace - drastic/simple improvement to chart window needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On-close-window save workspace - drastic/simple improvement to chart window needed

I am losing my recent mark-ups on a random but continual basis because NT7 allows me to close the chart window without saving my changes to the workspace, e.g. by clicking in the top right corner on the X or using Alt-F4.

This happens to me continually, at least once a week and it costs me 1/2 hour, 2 hours or more.

I add S/R levels, bubbles, text boxes and arrows to my chart frequentliy and I wish to save them for analysis later. However if I forget to save the workspace deliberately on a regular basis, I often find that I accidentally close the chart window quite frequenlty and lose the work.

All it takes is an unintended key press or mouse-click and it's gone.

I would really appreciate it if you could see about having this simple improvement implements ASAP.

Hello Adamus,

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, Alt-F4 is a Windows default hot key for closing the active window and we cannot change this.

I would recommend using the Hot Key Manager to map hot keys for saving your workspace and changing the hot keys for your drawing tools.

Go to Tools > Hot Key Manager > Global, and within the Workspaces section set a hot key for 'Save Workspace'. This will make saving your workspace a simple, quick and easy process.

Go to Tools > Hot Key Manager > Chart, and you will find several hot keys for drawing tools such as 'Arrow Up' and 'Arrow Down'. Arrow Up, Arrow Down, Diamond, Dot, Square, Triangle Up, and Triangle Down are all set to Alt-F keys, re-assigning these hot keys may you assist in avoiding Alt-F4.

For more information on the Hot Key Manager please follow the link below:
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ey_manager.htm

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Hi Patrick

I think I failed to get my point across - I actually have done all those things you recommend. What I am asking for is that NT7 doesn't close the Chart window without asking if you want to save any changes first, in the same way as using Alt-F4 on the Control Center window.

It doesn't even have to be 'save'. The on-close event in Windows for the Chart window could ask simply if I really wish to lose the changes I made to the Chart window. If I click 'No' then it would not close the Chart window and nothing would be lost.

There is also nothing to remind me that there are unsaved changes, as would be usual in a more document-oriented software app like Word. This would also be reassuring that the workspace-save function has worked from the hotkey assigned to it, since often I am unsure.

I assigned ctrl-s to save the workspace, but frequently there is no sign that the workspace was saved - I have to be sure to watch the hard-drive LED to check that something gets written to disk.
      Last edited by adamus; 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Hello Adamus,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately this is not possible at this time however I have forwarded this to our development team as a suggestion on how we can improve the NinjaTrader platform. Once this suggestion has been input into our tracking system I will post the assigned ID number for tracking.

Comment

i wrote a small mockup script sometimes back in this regard. it just pop up a msg box but you can easily develop it to suit your needs. with ninjascript anything is possible
          Attached Files

Comment

deleting workspaces

IM tryin gt odelete some workspaces bu tNT keeps telling me they are open.I click close workspaces but doesnt solve it so i can delete workspaces.

Comment

Hello Laredo78676,

Thank you for your post.

Please go to File > Workspaces > select the workspace you wish to delete, then go to File > Workspaces > Close Workspace, and then go to File > Workspaces > Open Workspace > select the workspace you wish to delete > select Delete.

Please let me know if this does the trick for you.

Comment

Originally posted by adamus View Post
                Hi Patrick

I think I failed to get my point across - I actually have done all those things you recommend. What I am asking for is that NT7 doesn't close the Chart window without asking if you want to save any changes first, in the same way as using Alt-F4 on the Control Center window.

It doesn't even have to be 'save'. The on-close event in Windows for the Chart window could ask simply if I really wish to lose the changes I made to the Chart window. If I click 'No' then it would not close the Chart window and nothing would be lost.

There is also nothing to remind me that there are unsaved changes, as would be usual in a more document-oriented software app like Word. This would also be reassuring that the workspace-save function has worked from the hotkey assigned to it, since often I am unsure.

I assigned ctrl-s to save the workspace, but frequently there is no sign that the workspace was saved - I have to be sure to watch the hard-drive LED to check that something gets written to disk.
                Hello Adamus,

Thank you for your suggestion on how we can improve our product. It has been inserted into our tracking system with the unique ID #860.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkan View Post
                  i wrote a small mockup script sometimes back in this regard. it just pop up a msg box but you can easily develop it to suit your needs.
                  Many thanks bukkan, that is exactly what I wanted. Hopefully now NT will incorporate this kind of thing into Chart windows by default.

with ninjascript anything is possible
                  Cool! Can you write a script that will look into the future? I only need 1 min look-forward to help with my entries

Comment

i wrote a small mockup script sometimes back in this regard. it just pop up a msg box but you can easily develop it to suit your needs. with ninjascript anything is possible
                    HUGE Thanks bukkan!!!!! Huge!!!! Can't tell ya how many times I've barked about no "Are you sure?" dialogue for the close chart window process. No more lost marks or notes because of a bonehead mistake.

May the Bird of Paradise land on your shoulder and never leave!

And thanks to Ninja tech Brandon for telling me about it.

Rod Weaver

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Rapine Heihei, 04-23-2024, 07:51 PM
                    2 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Max238
                    by Max238

Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                    24 responses