Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading to latest NT7 from NT7 version 1

Hello,
    I'm still using NT7 version 1 because I balked at complicated upgrade instructions. I can't even remember now what they were, but I recall that I would have lost all the custom indicators I paid so much money for.
    My question is, have you folks figured out how someone can upgrade to the latest version without all those horrible steps, like uninstalling SP1 on Windows 7, and losing all custom indicators, and whatever else? In other words, have you developed a patch yet, so that a customer like myself can upgrade without going through the gyrations that were initially necessary?
    Thanks,
    Tasuki

Tasuki,

There is not patch for upgrading. You must follow the steps in the upgrade guide.

You will not lose your custom indicators you have made money for, they will just need to be updated from your vendor and reinstalled.

Click here to see the upgrade guide

If you're having issues upgrading, please email us at support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com and reference this thread. Feel free to include a phone number and we can give you a call to help you with this process.
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for the link. There are some non-protected indicators that I've bought or found which I rely on, and I'm not sure if I have them backed up anywhere. Is there some way to extract them (or the code for them) from NT7 before I upgrade to the latest version?
      Thanks for the help,
      Tasuki

Comment

Tasuki,

Unprotected assemblies should not cause any issues. The only indicators and add-ons that need to be removed are listed under File--> Utilities--> Remove NinjaScript Assemblies.

Comment

Right, I understand about the unprotected ones not causing a problem. What I was asking was whether I can somehow save these indicators somewhere before upgrading. I'm not sure I've kept backups of these unprotected indicators. In some cases, I have no clue where I got them, and oftentimes I've tried many different versions before I found one version that worked---it's the versions that work which I've got on my NT7 v1, and would like to save those versions somewhere separate on my hard drive before upgrading---except I don' t know how to extract these indicators and save them. Is there a way to do this? Hope I've made myself clear.
          Thanks,
          Tasuki

Comment

Tasuki,

All of your indicators are saved in (My) Documents\NinjaTrader\bin\Custom\Indicators. If you wish to make a backup, you can copy this folder to another location during the upgrade process

However, you should not need to backup your indicators. As long as you do not delete the (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom\Indicator folder, you should not lose these indicators.

As per the upgrade guide, you only need to delete the files listed in (My) Documents\NinjaTrader 7\bin\Custom

All of your indicators are saved in the folder called "Indicators" as shown in the image above.

Comment

huge new problem

So, I tried a little experiment, and now I've got a complete disaster on my hands. I assumed (incorrectly) that the indicator files in the folder you mentioned could be moved around like any other files. So, I took some of them and put them in a new folder on the desktop, then tried to start Ninjatrader to see if the indicators would show up as missing. The purpose of the experiment was to see if I could move around these indicators, which will be necessary if I am to save my non-proprietary indicators prior to upgrading to the latest version of NT7. I also want to be able to save and back up indicators just as a general precaution against computer failure--always a good idea. Your instructions said, " If you wish to make a backup, you can copy this folder to another location during the upgrade process". This led me to believe that these files were movable without doing any damage to Ninjatrader as a whole. Boy was I wrong. Not only did Ninjatrader refuse to start, giving me error messages, but when I replaced the indicators from the folder I'd made on the desktop back to their original location, Ninjatrader still won't work. I even tried restarting the computer---no luck.See attached error messages.

So, what in the world is going on here? Please explain, and please help me fix this.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Tasuki; 10-06-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Tasuki,

Sorry for the trouble, however I never instructed you to move the folder. A copy of this folder would suffice as a backup, however moving these files from the original location can contribute to issues.

The good news is the errors you are reported would not be related to moving this folder.

This message indicates that the NinjaTrader uninstaller file is missing. In most cases, this will occur if a user is running a clean-up program that deletes temp files or if the user deleted the temp files manually. To resolve this issue, run the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility listed below. Once the utility is running, select NinjaTrader from the list and select Remove. It will then be possible to reinstall NinjaTrader successfully.

Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility: http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Instal...ity_d4459.html

If you would like remote assistance and help with this upgrade, please email me at support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com, Attn: Matthew in the Subject line and a reference to this thread.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_Matthew; 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Looks as if that link doesn't actually give you the Microsoft program you mentioned. If you look below in the description, it says, "no longer supported". If you click on the download bar, you get a different program, actually two of them, Advanced System Care 4 and "Quick Care". I don't think either of these programs will help.

I can't imagine what went wrong. Are you saying that I have to uninstall Ninjatrader and then re-install it because some temp file is missing? I didn't delete any temp file. All I did was---just like I said, move some of the indicator *.cs files out of their proper location and onto a folder on the desktop, that's ALL. No deleting of anything.

Anyway, I've sent you an email. Perhaps we can get together tomorrow and figure out what the heck happened.

Thanks for the help,
                  Tasuki

Comment

Hello Tasuki,

I have not yet received your email. Can you please resend to support[at]ninjatrader[dot]com Attn: Matthew

Comment

email resent. Thanks, Tasuki

Comment

Tasuki,

Thanks - I received and replied.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by junkone, Today, 11:37 AM