Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting SMA as the stop target

Hello,
    I am new to NinjaTrader and to this forum. So far I have really enjoyed using and learning about the tool and have been trying to create a simple strategy.

I trade ES and if SMA(13) crosses above SMA(75), I get an entry signal.

My challenge is I also want to submit a stop loss order equal to SMA(75) - 8 ticks based on my entry bar. And I do not want this to change as my trade progresses. In short I want to use a fixed stop loss and do not want it to trail with the trade.

I have been looking into the manual but was not so successful in figuring this one out.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Originally posted by pandyav View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to NinjaTrader and to this forum. So far I have really enjoyed using and learning about the tool and have been trying to create a simple strategy.

I trade ES and if SMA(13) crosses above SMA(75), I get an entry signal.

My challenge is I also want to submit a stop loss order equal to SMA(75) - 8 ticks based on my entry bar. And I do not want this to change as my trade progresses. In short I want to use a fixed stop loss and do not want it to trail with the trade.

I have been looking into the manual but was not so successful in figuring this one out.

I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
    Here is some pseudocode.
    Code:
    if (EntryConditionsMet)
    {
    SetStopLoss(CalculationMode.Price, SMA(75)[0] - 8 * TickSize);
    //Entry Order goes here
    }

Comment

Thank you very much for a quick reply.

Similar question: As described above the strategy generates an entry signal based on Xover of SMA(13) and SMA(75).

The challenge is that I want to place entry price 2 ticks above the high of entry bar. In many cases this does not happens immediately after the entry bar and can take 4 to 5 bars before the prices move higher enough.

But as this does not happen on the immediate bar, I lose the trading opportunity when the price eventually moves higher and hits my entry target.

Is there a way around the problem here? Eg. as long as the ES moves 2 ticks higher in next n number of bars I'll still be able to go long even though the cross over happened a few bars ago.

Once again, appreciate any help you can provide.

Comment

Thank you very much for a quick reply.

Similar question: As described above the strategy generates an entry signal based on Xover of SMA(13) and SMA(75).

The challenge is that I want to place entry price 2 ticks above the high of entry bar. In many cases this does not happens immediately after the entry bar and can take 4 to 5 bars before the prices move higher enough.

But as this does not happen on the immediate bar, I lose the trading opportunity when the price eventually moves higher and hits my entry target.

Is there a way around the problem here? Eg. as long as the ES moves 2 ticks higher in next n number of bars I'll still be able to go long even though the cross over happened a few bars ago.

Once again, appreciate any help you can provide.
        Take a look at the liveUntilCancelled parameter override on EntryOrders.

refL: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...rlonglimit.htm

Comment

So does this mean that in NT the entry orders are alive for one bar only. After that they get canceled?
          In this case after the crossover if the price does not get higher by 2 ticks, the order will be canceled automatically?

Sorry if I am missing something here as I am new to the platform. Thanks.

Comment

So does this mean that in NT the entry orders are alive for one bar only. After that they get canceled?
            In this case after the crossover if the price does not get higher by 2 ticks, the order will be canceled automatically?

Sorry if I am missing something here as I am new to the platform. Thanks.
            To put it as simply as possible, the answer to your question is: "yes".

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by PaulMohn, Today, 03:49 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post PaulMohn  
            Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason