Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Chart Objects

Hello,
    I just noticed that some of the chart objects for ES chart have disappeared while some of the rest are still visible. These were lines , circles , etc... that I have drawn on my charts and are stored in the "GlobalChartObject" folder .
    I have spent a lot of time creating them and they each represent an important area on my chart , can you tell me what caused them to disappear ? and how I can get them back?
    Thank you

Hello yellowTrader,

Thanks for writing in.

Global Drawing Objects will be hidden if those objects are not viewed for 20 consecutive days.

To restore those objects, you'll need to shut down NinjaTrader and roll your PC's clock back to a date where those drawing objects would have been displayed. At that point, you would need to close NT, reset the PC clock to 10 days ahead of the date you last set, and then re-open NinjaTrader to display the objects repeating this procedure until you reach the current day.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello Kyle,
      I was working with my ES chart yesterday and I view and work with same set of charts everyday. The drawing objects that I noticed disappear were created 2 days ago. Any explanations?
      Thank you.

Comment

Hello yellowTrader,

If the drawing objects were created this recently, it could be that the workspace has become corrupted or was saved over. Do you have a backup which contains these settings from which to restore?

Comment

Hello Kyle,
          I am sure they were not saved over since I created and saved them on Monday and then reopened the same wokspace on Tuesday and made no changes to the drawing objects but today I see some of them are visible but the rest have disappeared.
          And no I don't backup everyday but even if I did I don't believe global objects are backed up. Am I not correct ?
          I wonder if it's possible to do a sytem restore back to yesterday. Would that bring the global objects back?
          Thank you

Comment

Hello yellowTrader,

Global drawing objects are included in backups provided that workspaces are included in the backup.

The system restore may be worth trying, but I am not sure whether this would bring the objects back.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
              Hello yellowTrader,

Global drawing objects are included in backups provided that workspaces are included in the backup.

The system restore may be worth trying, but I am not sure whether this would bring the objects back.
              System restore does bring back all global objects OK for me (I use many global objects & backup every day)...have found just ocassionally when perhaps a workspace becomes corrupted that objects will then not restore....

Comment

Thanks Alfred.
                So what do you do with all those global objects when a workspace is corrupted?
                I mean are they lost forever?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowTrader View Post
                  Thanks Alfred.
                  So what do you do with all those global objects when a workspace is corrupted?
                  I mean are they lost forever?
                  Hi...am not sure how that works...have just noticed when a backup restore did not work, a backup of a new workspace would then restore all global objects OK....I usually only save one days objects in a backup every day, then delete all the daily objects from the workspace and start over clean the next day as all objects I use are on just 1 day of various intraday charts...

You can test things doing several backups at once this way...rename each backup and you can do more than one per day then...

Last edited by Alfred; 10-26-2011, 08:00 PM. Reason: additional notes

Comment

Thanks Alfred.

Comment

Hello Kyle,
                      Fortunately I had copied the "GlobalChartObjects" folder on my desktop a few days ago and could retrieve the drawings saved till that date. I have attached a picture of the saved folder and the current folder within template folder of NT to illustrate that the file size of none of the symbols have gone down except for ES (as is highlighted) . it has come down from 115KB to 19KB . This indicates something must have happened to that folder causing the objetcs to disappear.
                      I like to bring this issue up to your developement team' attention since this is not the first time this has happened and Ask them to look into this matter.
                      Thank you
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi yellowTrader,

I'll do some testing here to see what I'm able to come up with. Ultimately, we would need to find steps which would cause this to occur on demand in order to forward the matter to development as a bug.

Comment

I doubt if you can replicate it this easily. It's not like it happens all the time. In the past 6 months it has happened 4 times and each time I have lost all the objects representing many hours of work I had spent on my charts.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowTrader View Post
                            I doubt if you can replicate it this easily. It's not like it happens all the time. In the past 6 months it has happened 4 times and each time I have lost all the objects representing many hours of work I had spent on my charts.
                            I make a number of auto numbered screen shots daily with Snagit (easy to do with a hot key)...auto saved to a new folder for each day...and can then easily review those shots sequentially in Fast Stone Viewer...with something like this you have a visual chart history....a few times have crashed and lost recent chart objects...(& when had not recently saved the workspace)...but then could recreate the chart objects from the saved screen shots...perhaps something like this could show what may be happening...

also ...this visual record works great to see where things worked OK but also where you made mistakes...easy to review...

Comment

Alfred, Thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind.
                              But if there is an issue with NT behaving this way from time to time which seems you have also experienced then the real solution is to have NT team address this problem .

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post algospoke  
                              Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred