Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATM/Stop strategy incorrectly executing

Hi,

I have created a very simple ATM strat with a stop strategy which goes like this. I am trading two contracts on the 6E. Target 1 is Qty. 1 , Stop loss 8 , profit target 4 Stop strategy=none , Target 2 is Qty 1 , Stop loss=8 Profit Target=20 , Stop Strategy=Profit target=4 , Plus=1 with no auto trail. This can all be seen in the screenshots i am including. What I want to happen is that once I enter the market , my strategy places my 8 tick stop for both contracts and my 4 tick and 20 tick targets for each contract. This happens correctly 100% of the time. Next when my ATM kicks in and executes once my first target is reached 4 ticks, my ATM strat should then execute that 4 tick profit trade and then cancel one of my 8 tick stops and then move that stop to 1 tick above break even. Then my trade should run until either i reach my second profit target of 20 ticks or my breakeven plus 1 tick stop is hit. However what is happening is that Ninja is doing that correctly about 70% of the time , and may 25% or so of the time it apears to be malfunctioning. It appears to be reaching target 1 and it seems as though it does not execute target one rather it is first moving the stop to break even + 1 and it incorrectly executes that. It leaves my target 1 in place and it leaves my 8 tick stop in place. It apparently for unknown reason cancels my 20 tick target as well. Best i can tell is that it move my breakeven +1 before it has executed my taget 1 . I am using market replay with data downloaded from ninja trader. This can be seen in the screenshots. Here is a description of the screen shots.

I will have to make a second post because there appears to be a maximum of file screenshots I can upload but it requires more than this to show what is happening .So the aditional 5 screenshots will be in my next post.

Here is a description of the events

1. screenshot=stop=-strategy.jpg = This is a picture of the stop strategy settings

2. screenshot=sdom-atm-entry.jpg = Here is the entry of the strategy all is correct here and this always works. My ATM strat paramerts can be seen here.

3. screenshot=chart-atm-entry.jpg = Here is the chart at entry all is correct here and this always works.

4. screenshot=sdom-atm-executes.jpg = Here we can see the first malfunction. As you can see the ATM strat has executed incorrectly and i now have an 8 tick stop and a 1 tick stop and my target 1 is remaing active. This should never occur. I should always either have 2 8 tick stops , i.e. one for each contract , or I should have 1 stop at Breakeven + 1 ? At this point my stop strat B/E+1 is sitting there and it executes and then my target 2 20 tick disappears?

5. screenshot=chart-atm-executes.jpg = Here we can see what I illustrated above in chart form. Note my 20 tick target 2 is still active at this point. As well as my target 1 is still active

6. screenshot=chart-atm-executes-2.jpg =Here we see that my 20 tick target 2 is gone and my 8 tick original stop is still in place , when in fact i should have only a 20 tick target 2 in place and a stop strat of B/E + 1 working

7. screenshot=sdom-atm-executes-2.jpg = Here we see how the strat ends up. I end up with my target 1 still active my original 8 tick stop still active and all of my target 2 and stop strat have executed in the wrong order.

8. screenshot=orders-atm-entry.jpg = Here we can track how it all occured in the incorrect sequence via the order entry display this is the the first entry display all is correct here.

9. screenshot=orders-atm-executes-2.jpg = Here we can see what occurs as described above. My 20 tick target 2 is cancelled, and my target 1 is still active and my stop strat B/E + 1 is filled. Completely wrong sequence.

10. screenshot=orders-atm-complete.jpg = Here is after all is said and done as you can see the inproper sequence.

I apologize for how painful this post must be to follow but the issue is hard to describe and show at the same time. Normally i would think i am just doing something wrong and this might be the case, but it works correctly 75% to 80% of the time.?
    The screenshots 6 through 10 described above will be in the next post.
    Thank You so much for your time and help,

P.S. As i descibe my goal in the beginning of my post , is there multiple ways to accomplish this? How would you do an ATM to achieve my goal?
    Attached Files

Follow up Post

Hi,

Here is the other 5 screenshots described in my post and the description for all of them repeated as well.

Thanks

Here is a description of the events

1. screenshot=stop=-strategy.jpg = This is a picture of the stop strategy settings

2. screenshot=sdom-atm-entry.jpg = Here is the entry of the strategy all is correct here and this always works. My ATM strat paramerts can be seen here.

3. screenshot=chart-atm-entry.jpg = Here is the chart at entry all is correct here and this always works.

4. screenshot=sdom-atm-executes.jpg = Here we can see the first malfunction. As you can see the ATM strat has executed incorrectly and i now have an 8 tick stop and a 1 tick stop and my target 1 is remaing active. This should never occur. I should always either have 2 8 tick stops , i.e. one for each contract , or I should have 1 stop at Breakeven + 1 ? At this point my stop strat B/E+1 is sitting there and it executes and then my target 2 20 tick disappears?

5. screenshot=chart-atm-executes.jpg = Here we can see what I illustrated above in chart form. Note my 20 tick target 2 is still active at this point. As well as my target 1 is still active

6. screenshot=chart-atm-executes-2.jpg =Here we see that my 20 tick target 2 is gone and my 8 tick original stop is still in place , when in fact i should have only a 20 tick target 2 in place and a stop strat of B/E + 1 working

7. screenshot=sdom-atm-executes-2.jpg = Here we see how the strat ends up. I end up with my target 1 still active my original 8 tick stop still active and all of my target 2 and stop strat have executed in the wrong order.

8. screenshot=orders-atm-entry.jpg = Here we can track how it all occured in the incorrect sequence via the order entry display this is the the first entry display all is correct here.

9. screenshot=orders-atm-executes-2.jpg = Here we can see what occurs as described above. My 20 tick target 2 is cancelled, and my target 1 is still active and my stop strat B/E + 1 is filled. Completely wrong sequence.

10. screenshot=orders-atm-complete.jpg = Here is after all is said and done as you can see the inproper sequence.

I apologize for how painful this post must be to follow but the issue is hard to describe and show at the same time. Normally i would think i am just doing something wrong and this might be the case, but it works correctly 75% to 80% of the time.?
    The screenshots 6 through 10 described above will be in the next post.
    Thank You so much for your time and help,

P.S. As i descibe my goal in the beginning of my post , is there multiple ways to accomplish this? How would you do an ATM to achieve my goal?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed post and screen shots.

This can be expected from time to time as the Stop Strategy is set to adjust once the Profit Trigger has been reached (4 ticks). However, at the time the 4 ticks in profit have been reached, the target order at 4 ticks may not fill immediately. In the case that market reaches 4 ticks, but moves back down quickly, you can expect to see your stop loss readjust, however it is not guaranteed that your profit target is filled.

Keep in mind that your orders are in line waiting to be filled and just because the price reached that price level, does not mean that the order resting there will be filled.

NinjaTrader has no control over how orders are filled in your live account. If you have questions regarding a fill in your live account, you will want to contact your broker for clarification.

With that said, NinjaTrader does control fills in the simulated account and market replay. The NinjaTrader simulation engine is designed to operate as realistically as possible, but you can decrease this type of slippage by enforcing immediate fills in the account. Please take the following steps:
      • From the Control Center, click Tools > Options to open the options menu.
      • In the Options menu, navigate to the Simulator tab.
      • In the simulator tab of the options menu, check the box labeled 'Enforce Immediate Fills'.
      • Click OK to exit the options menu for the change to be applied.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Alternatively, what you could do is set the stop to readjust once 5 ticks have been reached. This would help ensure that your Profit Target at 4 ticks was filled and the stop will not move until 1 more tick in profit has been reached.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
      MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Hi,
        Thanks for your explanation and i had considered that as the cause , however I wanted to make sure you had read both of my posts , the reply and the one below it because you did not address the issue of why my target 2 of 20 ticks in my atm / stop strat is cancelled in the process? Also why then do i end up with an 8 tick stop loss and the new b/e + 1 stop loss? Once the stop strat kicks in it should cancel the 8 tick stop loss and move it to b/e + 1 , this is not happening though. I am ending up with a cancelled target 2 and a non cancelled 8 tick stop loss. I am surprised that the ninja atm and stop strat do not kick in once the actual order has been filled for the first profit target? Rather what you are saying is that as soon as price hits the target the atm stop strat kicks in regardles of wether or not I was filled? Thanks for your continued assistance.

Thanks

Comment

Correct the Stop Strategy will be triggered as soon as an execution occurs at that price and will not wait for a fill to occur that is a part of your ATM Strategy.

This has been forwarded to our development team and we have assigned this feature request ID #1076 in our tracking system.
          Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Waxavi
          by Waxavi

Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
          0 responses