Moving software to new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving software to new PC

I have a new PC and want to move all the chart, settings, installed fonts, scripts, vendor license, workspaces , etc,etc...: ie exactly what my ninjatrader has on my old pc.. I tried the backup and checked all the boxes,, but was disappointed that the restore to the new PC had lots of missing stuff,, including a message that scripts couldn't be restored..
    Do I have to use a program like "ghost" or something like that.. Any suggestions

copy the "ninjatrader 7" folder in your documents everything you use lives in there, this is the only thing i use as a backup after i have learned how nt7 uses this folder.

most stuff is in your bin folder, charts temp is in tmp and workspace stuff is in workspace, the markets you follow are in data, it's all in there.

after any install just replace the "ninjatrader 7" and everything will be back to normal.

Comment

If you want to transfer everything to another PC such as settings, templates, ect. the best way is to create a backup file and transfer this to restore on the other PC:

More information about creating a Backup and how to Restore can be found at the link I have provided below:

Christopher J.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Please go back and read my original message,, I already did the simple thing, the Ninja backup and restore.. The backup and restore does nothing for any addins such as new bar types,, custom scripts,,, vendor purchased indicators/licenses, etc,etc.. "Ninja" seems to take a simplistic view that traders use Ninja software standalone with no add ons,,, not a very realistic approach.. U are fooling traders that ur backup and restore does anything other then things that can be easily restored by hand and u will probably lose any custom stuff, the most important !!!

Comment

gg80108,

I am happy to assist you.

You can also just copy your entire My Documents / NinjaTrader 7 directory, then move it to your new PC. This is exactly where all of your settings, indicators, bar types, etc. are stored in one convenient location.

Backup also backs up any custom NinjaScript files, so this shouldn't be an issue. Are you sure you are checking all the options in the backup? Are you getting any errors when you attempt to restore a backup file? I just did a test deleting several indicators, then I reloaded my backup and all indicators were restored in working condition.

Please let me know if I may assist further.
          Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Yes i did check all boxes on the backup... Copied the 5gig NinjaTrader 7 folder over.. When I started ninja said something about having to recompile scripts and something set to defaults..On recompile indicators, had errors pointing to the dll files that had come from vendors.. Went into remove assemblies but came with an message there was an error in the scripts,,, round and round syndrome and wouldn't let me remove the assemblies that put the dlls in......

Finally went into references on the indicator script and removed paths to dlls.. still had an issue wont compile but less errors,, went into bin/custom and removed the dll files from vendors.... Came up ok now, except for the deleted stuff.. Looks like if u have any dll/assembly stuff u are sol...

Also had some custom, linebreak with wick, bar types that didn't show up,, maybe there were in one of those dll files?

So think this exercise shows that u can only back up the basic stuff and be prepared to rebuild the rest from scratch...
            Last edited by gg80108; 10-31-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by gemify, 11-11-2022, 11:52 AM
            6 responses
            2 likes
            Last Post ultls
            by ultls

Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 04:52 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes