Fibonacci Snap in NT7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibonacci Snap in NT7

Hi all, can't seem to get Fibs to snap to bar or price (was there a difference?) on my ES charts on 64-bit. I'm in Drawing Tools > Snap To > etc...

Am I missing something?

Hi jasterm,

I just checked fib retracement with all 3 snap modes and all work as expected. Can you please let us know:
    Which fib object you're using?
    What version of NinjaTrader? Check with Help > About.
    Which of the three modes is not working as you expect? What are you expecting? (Or looking for)
    Ryan M.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ryan. Using Fib retracements on the ES and just want the endpoints to snap to either bar or price, (again, what is the difference?). Meaning, if I click anywhere near lets say, 1200.75, the fib will start at exactly1200.75, rather than, say 1200.62 or any other random number off of the quarters increment tick prices w/ which the ES moves. Am I making any sense?

Whether it's bar, or price, isn't the increment in quarter ticks regardless?

Comment

Did you try mode bar and price? What version of NinjaTrader are you using?

Snap Mode
        Drawing objects can be attached to price and/or time data within the chart by using any of the Snap Mode options available in the Drawing Tools menu:

Disabled Disables "Snap Mode" and allows the drawing object anchor point(s) to be placed anywhere on the chart
        Bar Sets the x-axis value of drawing object anchor point(s) to the bar interval values only
        Price Sets the y-axis value of drawing object anchor point(s) to the Data Series OHLC and indicator price values only
        Bar and Price Sets the x and y-axis of drawing object anchor point(s) to be aligned with bar interval values, Data Series OHLC and indicator price values only

Comment

I get it now, Ryan. Previous versions of NT used to allow me to start a Fib point, anywhere on the chart and increment in quarter points regardless of anythign on the chart. This allowed me to draw an accurate fib quickly in the empty spaces on my charts, w/out jumbling up the screen.

I see that for these settings, you have to plot your endpoints, directly on the bar itself in order for the snap to function. Wish it was set the old way, personally. Is there a way to tweak this?

Comment

You can set as mode price and the start and end points will always be rounded to TickSize of the instrument. The individual lines' values will not be rounded to TickSize though. This was a change we made from 6.5 that unfortunately cannot be changed. I will forward your comments to our product development team, that you would like to see individual fib lines rounded to tick size. This suggestion is currently assigned tracking ID # 690. Thank you for the feedback.
            Last edited by NinjaTrader_RyanM1; 11-07-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Ryan, just to clarify, when I set the snap to price, the initial point I choose seems to work well enough, but the endpoint doesn't snap, and I get non-quarter numbers. Can you confirm if this is this is by design?

Comment

What is the exact version of NinjaTrader you're using? Check this with help > about and include the whole number.

What snap mode is set prior to drawing the line?

Comment

Hi Ryan.

Ninja Trader 64-bit 7.0.1000.7

Snap mode set to "Price"

Also, hate to be a pain, but when I put the snap mode to "Price," it affects all of my drawing tools (to be expected), which is frustrating when drawing lines, and simple marks for my trading.

Not sure why the change was made in NT7 for the fibs, but the way it used to be way back in 6.5 seems to make more sense. Maybe I'm the only oddball? It was simple to draw a fib from price to price on the quarters (ES) anywhere on the chart, while still giving the freedom to draw anywhere on the charts. Not sure why you would need to draw a fib line on a point that has no value on a price chart, (again, maybe just me).

Comment

In my experience, using mode price always rounds top and bottom fib retracement lines to the TickSize of the instrument.

I've checked this on ES, TF, FDAX.

If you are seeing differently, can you please create a new chart with no custom scripts applied, and then save as a workspace using File > Workpsace > Save as. Provide a name and then attach this workspace in a note to support 'at' ninjatrader 'dot' com. Write Attn: RyanM somewhere in the message. You will find the workspace file in this directory:
                    Documents\NinjaTrader 7\Workspaces

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by AttiM, 02-14-2024, 05:20 PM
                    11 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                    Started by fernandobr, Today, 09:11 AM
                    1 response