Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saving multiple instances of a strategy

Hi there

I've a strategy which seems to work well on backtest of the stocks in the Dow. I've created an account at C2 and wish to send signals from NT to C2 to monitor how well the system does and hopefully attract some subscribers.

My first question, is there an easy way to run the strategy on all the stocks in the Dow or do i need to create an instance of the strategy for each stock?

Secondly, when i close NT down, all the instances of the strategy i'm running dissapear?!? I have a feeling i'm doing something wrong!

Any advice much appreciated! :-)

Tks
    Ben
    Bicester - England

Hi Ben,

1) Unfortunately not, you have to create an instance for each strategy
    2) This is correct behaviour, as you shut down NT, strategies are terminated and you must go back to my 1st answer

I do realize this is not optimum and its on our list to look at ways to improve this. Thanks for understanding.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Tks Ray - No problem, it will keep me busy! :-)

Comment

How does this affect ProfitTargets?

Hi Ray

My strategy involves looking for a fixed profit target on each trade, which is done using the NT ProfitTarget statement.

I understand that C2 only accepts market orders from NT (?), presumably meaning that ProfitTarget orders cannot be passed to C2 in advance?

If that is the case, then what would happen if I closed down NT one night and reopened the following morning? I'd restart the strategies on NT, but NT would be unaware of the trades executed the previous day, and therefore unable to execute the ProfitTargets for the previouse opening trades. I would end up with many open trades, with no way of closing them.

Is there anyway around this problem, if indeed it is a problem?

Tks in advance

Ben

Comment

Yes, this would be a problem and the only workaround is to keep NT running.

Comment

Running NT on a remote server??

Hi Ray - I've been trying to keep NT open on my local PC but it has closed twice in the last 24 hrs. This is due to me continueing to use the Strategy Analyser which periodically encounters problems requiring the app to be restarted.

How do others get round this problem? Is a solution to have an instance of NT running on a server provided by a hosting serice, meaning that I can do strategy development on my local PC without risking a shut down.

If this is indeed a solution, I'll purchase the $270 multi broker licence of NT and proceed to get it set up on a remote server.

Tks in advance

Ben Heaton

Comment

Hi Ben,

I am not sure. Any problem forcing the app to shut down should be resoolved. For clarification, when using the Strategy Analyzer --> the application crashes?

If yes, please send Logs and Traces via Help > Mail To Support to my attention. Include "For Ray" in the subject and reference this post.

Thanks.

Comment

Ben:

My experience is that any Strategy Analyzer session, if it goes on long enough, will force NT to need to be restarted for one reason or another, usually the process running out of memory. I came to the conclusion for myself that I needed two distinct environments, development and production. I ended up buying a separate machine to use for running my production strategies. It gives me the peace of mind of not having to worry about running backtests, experimenting with strategies that I am running live, etc. When I am satisfied with changes to my strategy I promote them to the production machine.

And I agree that saving the strategy state is very desirable -- I have brought that up earlier as well.

Comment

Strategy Analyser Problems

Hi Ray - My experience is identical to Pete S, who posted below, although I am unaware as to why the app shuts down (Pete S suggests a memory issue).

In addition I have noticed that when I'm adding live strategies to Control Center> Strategy Tab, if I double click on the dialogue box which is used to select the instrument type/name, on occassion this has resulted in the app "Not responding" and requiring a shut down.

I'll post any other issues I came across.

Tks

Ben

Comment

Hi Pete

Thanks for the info - i'll look into space on a remote server as I'm also worried about our power supply here which is a bit unreliable.

Ben
                    Originally posted by Pete S View Post
                    Ben:

My experience is that any Strategy Analyzer session, if it goes on long enough, will force NT to need to be restarted for one reason or another, usually the process running out of memory. I came to the conclusion for myself that I needed two distinct environments, development and production. I ended up buying a separate machine to use for running my production strategies. It gives me the peace of mind of not having to worry about running backtests, experimenting with strategies that I am running live, etc. When I am satisfied with changes to my strategy I promote them to the production machine.

And I agree that saving the strategy state is very desirable -- I have brought that up earlier as well.

Comment

>> In addition I have noticed that when I'm adding live strategies to Control Center> Strategy Tab, if I double click on the dialogue box which is used to select the instrument type/name, on occassion this has resulted in the app "Not responding" and requiring a shut down.
                      - On which property of the dialog box did you double click?
                      - which strategy did you have selected?

Thanks

Comment

When adding a new stock strategy, in order to save a bit of time when adding hundreds of stocks, I double click on the right hand side of the dialogue box in the "Instrument" field of the "New Strategy" dialogue box. The first click brings up a drop down box arrow, and the second click opens it and allows me to add the stock symbol. 99% of the time this works fine, but occassionally it causes a crash. It could well be to do with my running NT on a family Laptop, and I have ordered a new laptop which will be solely used for running NT.

Tks
                        Ben

Comment

A box or something should pop up as NT crashed. Please paste some screenshots. Thanks

Comment

Hi - by "crash", i mean the whole system freezes and required me to close the app using ctrl-alt-dlt - so i don't get any useful info that I can supply u.
                            Tks

BH

Comment

I see. Unfortunately we don't have any similar reports nor would I know what could cause that.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
                              16 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Leafcutter  
                              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
                              2 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post WHICKED