Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How to disable everyday popup at 5 pm when trading forex?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable everyday popup at 5 pm when trading forex?

Hi,

I would like to use fully automated strategy that can hold position for few days - but I am getting NinjaTrader popup every day at 5 PM telling me that trading is temporarily disabled (because of rollover at MBTrading). How can I completely disable this popup from appearing (either in options or in live strategy/indicator)? In fact, when my strategy is running unattended, I don't want to get any popups from Ninjatrader.

Thank you

Hello music_p13, unfortunately those popups could not be disabled but I will add this as suggestion for future consideration.
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for reply, In that case, however, I would assume that those popups wouldn't cause my strategy to stop or halt etc... Can strategy be programmed to work the whole month unattended without being stopped/halted by NinjaTrader? Can you please confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by music_p13 View Post
        Thanks for reply, In that case, however, I would assume that those popups wouldn't cause my strategy to stop or halt etc... Can strategy be programmed to work the whole month unattended without being stopped/halted by NinjaTrader? Can you please confirm?
        Please be advised that if you are getting your data from MB Trading, then it is being fed into NT from Navigator. If if you are paying for data from another source NinjaTrader is connected to MB through Navigator.

Navigator should be stopped at roll over and restarted after roll over is complete.... or so I was advised a couple of years ago when I noticed odd account and trade position information in Navigator. I was advised that Navigator will "populate with random data' during rollover, which sometimes leads to the wrong account balances or ghost trades being in Navigator after rollover if it is allowed to run through the rollover.

The other important reason you don't, from my experience, want to keep NinjaTrader running with Navigator running over the rollover period is that Navigator is likely... not always... not even the majority of the time, but from time to time, to through bad ticks during roll over if allowed to stay connected.

You could try filtering the bad ticks, but you have to set your tick offset percentage somewhere, and you will over time undoubtedly be stopped out of a position due only to a bad tick occurring.

I always disconnect from MB at 4:58 PM..... the auto disconnect and popups occur during the 4:58 minute. I use that time to backup NinjaTrader, and restart after rollover.

I understand you want to run the strategy unattended for 5 days per week, but after nearly three years of trading with MB every market day, I caution you that you will end up with trouble if you try to do that.

Comment

Thanks a lot Crassius, I think you gave me all the answers I was suspecting! I noticed quite a few times (almost constantly) that I am getting bad ticks during rollover at MBTrading, and I definetely don't want to be stopped out... Do you have any experience with MetaTrader and MBTrading - do same issues occur? Have you considered implementing strategy through MBTrading SDKs? Will there be a similar catch when using MBTrading SDKs directly? Is this problem happening only with MBTrading? What about PFGBest? PFGBest support NinjaTrader, but I have never tested it on what would happen during rollover, and I don't know how PFGBest compared to MBTrading in other aspects...

Comment

With regards to rollover time, maybe if I program NinjaTrader to automatically disconnect at 4:58 PM each day and then re-connect after 5pm - I think that might solve bad tick data and bad account info. Also, when starting NinjaTrader I don't start MBTNavigator - so I guess that scenario might work for me - what do you think? However, strategy should be able to pick up where it left and get proper live order info from MBTrading through SDKs...

Comment

PFG Best just can't touch the low cost per trade of MB Trading, so I have never tried them.

I have not coded a custom app to run a strategy directly with MB's SDK. I imagine anything.... including logic to handle the daily roll over could be programmed that way.

I choose to use the ease of development with NinjaTrader, and simply have to live with the fact that since I am using a platform, I compromise between ease and speed of development for having everything behave exactly the way I'd like if I could have all my drothers.

I would recommend you check out the SDK group discussion and see how others are handling roll over
              in the custom apps they build.

If you can't be at your computer at 4:58 PM every trade day, you could look into a remote control solution.... control your computer to stop Navigator and restart it and restart NT.

Take a look at Trade Bullet also.... don't know if it will solve your problem but worth a look.

Comment

Originally posted by music_p13 View Post
                With regards to rollover time, maybe if I program NinjaTrader to automatically disconnect at 4:58 PM each day and then re-connect after 5pm - I think that might solve bad tick data and bad account info. Also, when starting NinjaTrader I don't start MBTNavigator - so I guess that scenario might work for me - what do you think? However, strategy should be able to pick up where it left and get proper live order info from MBTrading through SDKs...
                Yeah... that would be the way I would try to solve this issue.... If you can have a program that can stop and re-start Ninja everyday after rollover completes.

You need then to know when exactly rollover is complete, so you don't restart before it finishes.... It initiates everyday at 4:58 something, but it varies when it completes.

I recently got MB's CEO to agree to send emails out when roll over completes, so if you can check that with a program, then re-start you'd be set.

Emails haven't started yet, but it has been accepted as a change to be implemented. currently you only are notified via web message on their website...( any way to check that from a program?) or on the platform message system.... which I pointed out to MB was dumb since the platform shouldn't be running during rollover, so we can't see the roll over complete message in the platform.

MetaTrader???? POS in my opinion... I would never stoop that low.
                Last edited by Crassius; 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I think I can start NinjaTrader after rollover is complete (even if it takes few more minutes). The key there is to use "Unmanaged" approach so that I will always have my stop loss/targes on server (and not simulated locally). I could program a task to automatically launch some other program at specific time that would disconnect NinjaTrader and then would start it back (even simple one will work to send short keys to NinjaTrader like using WSH Shell). The last thing that holds me is - does Ninja Trader crash during automated strategy with MBTrading? I know MetaTrader is pretty stable, but I don't have much experience with latest version of NinjaTrader. What I do like about NinjaTrader is that you can trade multiple markets with it... So code can be written just once in C Sharp.

By the way, how is your experience with trading all the markets with MBTrading through NinjaTrader with regards to fast fills / any crashes? Also, MBTrading offers MBT Mobile app - can you trade it in conjunction with automated strategy that is running on NinjaTrader?

Comment

I only trade FX at MB Trading so no info on your questions regarding other markets.

I prefer un-managed approach as my stop loss etc is on their server so I don't have to worry about any technical/electrical/internet problems on my end. They never "run stops".... I've had the market get within a tenth of a pip from my stop and reverse and keep me in the trade, so I have no problem with my stops being on their server. Once a stop market is on their server there is absolutely no way I will not get out of a trade... I may take some slippage in a news rush, but at least I'm out and that's the purpose of a stop loss, IMHO.

Stability problems just should not be a problem... unless its your own programming that crashes NT.

NT use of C# and dot net instead of some DSL is the main reason I use it.

Don't know if you can use the mobile app when you are already logged into Navigator, as you would be if your strat was running at the same time. Ask MB tech support.
                    Last edited by Crassius; 11-12-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Guys, to update you : we've got a 'silent' mode as far as the popups go on our suggestion / product enhancement list under # 586 now. A good weekend to all,
                      BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Crassius
                        Do you use NT to place orders with MBT?
                        If so what do you use on NT to place order?
                        I am very interested to see that your stops are held at MBT.
                        How do you achieve this?
                        Regards John

Comment

I use Desktop for order entry, so all orders are submittted and held on MB's servers until hit or I cancel them.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by bortz, 11-06-2023, 08:04 AM
                          47 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post aligator  
                          Started by jaybedreamin, Today, 05:56 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post jaybedreamin