Overseas start time - 90 min bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overseas start time - 90 min bars

I think my real question is I'm unable to find the start time for overseas markets trading SPY. I believe it is 4 am eastern but can't find any info.

My chart question is while looking at SPY with data series of 24/7 the first bar appears at 5 am for a 60 min chart and 4:30 am for a 30 min chart (all times eastern).

If I try to chart 90 min bars, the first bar is at 4:30 am. If the start was at 4, should the first bar be 5:30 am? Am I wrong on the 4 am start time or is the problem using 90 min bars.
    Thanks in advance

Hi florida99,

Thanks for your post.

I'd recommend that you double-check with the party who is providing your data on this. Unfortunately, I'm not finding any documentation specific to this instruments start time either.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kyle

Thanks for the reply. I sent an email to the data provider asking what time trading begins. Let me ask the same question a diffferent way. (all times eastern) If I open a new chart for ticker SPY and the data series is set to either RTH or ETH and I look at 30 or 60 min bars, I see what one would expect, the first bar either at 60 min or 30 min after open; RTH (10:30 am) ETH (9 am) for the 60 and RTH (10 am) and ETH (8:30 am) for the 30 .

For a 90 min chart, RTH first bar at 11 am, ETH first bar at 9:30 am
      Everything so far agrees and appear good.

Putting aside for the moment whether trading day begins at 4 am or 3 am....If I use either 24/7 or 24/5 data series, first 60 min bar is at 5 am, first 30 min bar is at 4:30 am. They agree.

Everything up to now follows and agrees, except the first 90 min bar is at 4:30 am. Shouldn't the first 90 min bar appear at 5:30 am and agree with the 60 min and 30 min charts or is using a 90 min chart time non standard and subject to an error?

Comment

florida99,

Which data provider do you use with NinjaTrader? If a 1 minute chart is used with the Default 24/7 template, when do we see the first bar?

Comment

Kyle. thank you again. Data provider is IQ Feed and the first 1 minute bar 04:01.(24/7 & 24/5)

I tried 240 minutes, first bar at 8 am which seems correct following the 30 and 60 min charts based on a 4 am start. I then tried some other times and took a look at the next few bars:

For 90 minutes, first bar 4:30 am, then 6 am, then 7:30, etc
          For 120 minutes, first bar 6 am, then 8, 10, etc
          For 150 minutes, first bar at 5 am then 7:30, 10am, etc
          For 180 minutes, first bar 6 am then 9am, 12p
          For 240 minutes, 8 am, 12 pm, 4 pm, etc
          For 270 minutes, first bar was 04:30 am, then 9 am then 13:30, etc
          For 300, first bar 5 am then 10am, 3 pm, etc

I thought it might have something to do with the odd chart times not filling the entire bar at close and perhaps time getting carried forward to the next day. For instance, the last two 90 minute bars are at 19:30, then 21:00, which we know is 1 hour past ETH close. The first 90 min bar is 04:30. One hour too soon. The trouble with that theory is 150 min bars end at 20:00 and begin at 5 am, same for 300 minutes, bar ends at 8 pm, begins again at 5 am. Last thought, 300 mins = 5 hours, the time between 8pm and 5 am, 9 hours. If 10 hours, then maybe something there.
          Last edited by florida99; 11-23-2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Hi florida99,

Which timezone is your PC's clock set to use?

Comment

Eastern time zone

Comment

Hi florida99,

Did you receive any follow up from IQ on the start time for this instrument?

Comment

No not yet Kyle, we started this thread and I sent the question to them Wednesday evening. I'm sure they were already gone for Thanksgiving and probably limited support Friday. I'll try a chat with them in the morning

Comment

Kyle, thank you as always for the followup, IQ responded with 4 am

{Outside of the regular hours, NYSE Arca, the full-electronic exchange owned by NYSE Euronext is currently open for business from 4 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., and then from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.} from a story on Marketwatch http://www.marketwatch.com/story/24-...why-2011-11-30
                    Last edited by florida99; 11-30-2011, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Kyle, any further thoughts on this? Thanks

Comment

Hello florida99,

Kyle is currently not in the office, so I will respond for him.

Am I correct your 90 minute chart still timestamps the first bar at 4:30 AM? If the issue remains, I suggest to delete the incorrect data and load fresh new data from IQFeed.

Please go to Control Center-->Tools-->Historical Data Manager-->Edit-tab and delete all minute data that displays an incorrect timestamp in charts. You can find instructions at the link below.

Once deleted, please shut down NinjaTrader and go to (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->db-->cache and delete its entire content.

Start NinjaTrader and check if all minute charts timestamp their data properly.
                        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

NinjaTrader Jason solved my problem by having me create a new session template with a 4 am start time and an 8 pm end time. The first bars then started when they were expected.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
                          6 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post alifarahani  
                          Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH