Opens in 'not responding' mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opens in 'not responding' mode

I have fallen back into the black hole of NT going into Not Responding mode.
    It has happened before, but never sure why. I am using the 64bit version.
    I have two charts open with moderate indicators. I have used market replay lately which often triggers bad consequences.

To clarify, when I open NT it shows the charts blank pages and then whites out to Not Resonding before I even have a chance to connect to data feed.

??

Hello billr,

Can you please try the following. While NinjaTrader is closed, please go to (My) Documents-->NinjaTrader 7-->workspaces. Transfer the .xml file for the workspace that opens on startup to a temporary different location such as your desktop.

Start NinjaTrader and check if the issue persists now that the workspace is not opened on startup.

If not, please close NinjaTrader and transfer back the .xml file. Start NinjaTrader and check if you experience any issues when opening the workspace via Control Center-->File-->Workspaces-->Open Workspace.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Jason,
      I tried what you suggested and it seemed to work. I had two workspaces and the one I wasn't using still had charts when I opened it from the Control Center. The other workspace that was open when having this problem lost the charts. No big deal, just FYI.

I was able to open a new chart and it seems to be working. Still pretty slow when changing instruments, but I'll let you know if I the problem persists.
      Thanks for the prompt response.

Comment

After getting NT to start again, it has been working but I can tell just barely. It still goes to Not Responding when turning the data feed on (cqg) and sometimes when I change instruments or something else on charts. Also the crosshair cursor sticks/lags, and today when trying to move a profit target in a trade, the chart froze long enough to stop out my trade before it came back. When it did come back, it took about 30 seconds before the stopped out trade flags disappeared and the chart caught up.

I am running 64 bit NT on a dual core machine and CPU usage maxes out at 100% on start up of NT and again when connecting to data feed. When things start to freeze, the CPU usage is usually around 50%. When quiet it settles down to single digits.

Any ideas what might be happening. I have recently added a strategy that implements an ATM strategy and used it on market replay. Could any of that have an effect (even though I am not using that strategy or not in market replay)?

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with a link to this forum thread and a copy of today's trace file?

You will find that file in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.
          The file I need would be named 'trace.20111129.txt'
          KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Kyle,
            After installing the latest version of NT, my Not Responding settled down a bit and things seem to be working much better, However, much of the time when I am changing instruments or time frame on a chart, it still has a tendency to go into 'Not responding' for a few moments. It hasn't been a problem, but isn't that a fragile state if NT is so easily thrown into NotRespond ? Worries me that a full blown crash is imminent.
            Thanks.

Comment

Hello,

The not responding state indicates that there is simply too much to process at one time.

I'm including some of our Performance Tips to help reduce the memory and CPU foot print in NinjaTrader:

Hidden Workspaces
              • Hidden workspaces consume CPU cycles so check under File > Workspaces to see all of the workspaces that are open and close any that you seldom or never use.

Chart Performance Tips
              • Set chart indicators "Calculate on bar close" property to a value of 'True'
              • Increase your chart refresh interval by increasing the value of the chart property "Display update interval (sec)"
              • Reduce the number of bars on your chart (days back or bars back settings under "Format Data Series" dialog window
              • Reduce the number of running indicators
              • If you are running a custom or 3rd party indicator or strategy, remove them to isolate if these custom NinjaScript objects may be a CPU or memory drain

You can read all of our available performance tips from the following link:

Click here to view the NinjaTrader performance tips

Please let me know if you need further assistance.
              MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Well, I tried to send you log and trace files to supplement my last post. I used the feature from the Help tab and it plunged NT into Not Responding mode and forced a shut down.
                I noticed this also happens when I try to send these files direct from my email also.
                Being a MAC user, I assume it could easily be something indirectly related to NT. (I am of the opionion that all PC hardware and software are shipped somewhat broken anyway)
                Any suggestions on how I can get a comprehensive assessment of what is going on? Prior to about a week or so ago, all had been running fine for almost 2 months in 64bit mode, which was the best working streak I have had since starting with Ninja. It's disappointing.
                Thanks.

Comment

Matthew,
                  Thanks for your response. I am currently running 1 workspace and 1 chart with about 6 indicators.
                  My machine is not a super computer, but it is an AMD dual core 2.2ghz/4mb ram/about 2 yrs old or less.

I just got an error message that said something close to this: "email could not upload (log and trace files) because it was outside the array" does this have any relavence to NT? After the message closed, NT started running again. (It didn't quit after I selected force quit in Task Mgr??)

Thanks.

Comment

One other factor that may be related: I always run into long term problems when I use Strategy Analyzer (so I don't anymore) and Market Replay (which I do still use sometimes). Should I simply stop using those features on my trading machine? Maybe dedicate a separate machine for that?
                    In my PC novice terms, I assume that these sorts of problems could be NT operating correctly but placing too heavy a burden on my machine, OR maybe a problem with NT getting into a loop or other internal conflict that results in a drain on machine resources. If so, I wouldn't know how to tell the difference. But I would like to try to find out if NT is the problem if possible.

By the way, regarding the refresh rate of the chart, how intensely does this item affect performance? I have been using 0.5 forever. However, I would like to start using 0.1. Am I asking for trouble if I limit my charts to 3 or 4? (assuming we find the underlying problem with my Not Respond issue)

Thanks.
                    Last edited by billr; 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Hello,

I do not see any reasons why you would not be able to use Market Replay or the Strategy Analyzer on the same PC.

Can you give me more information about your indicators? What type of indicators are you running? Are they all default NT indicators or are they custom? If custom, were they free indicators you downloaded, or were they purchased from a vendor? Are these typically set on calculate on bar close = true or false?

Regarding the chart display update, the lower the frequency, the most CPU intensive this will be. I would not recommend lowering this value until we can isolate your current performance issues.

Comment

I am running 2 MACD, 2 Donchain Channels. No unusual settings. No third party. CQG feed.
                        switching back and forth between time-based charts/tick charts. Instruments are futures.

Yes, I will not increase refresh until we identify the problem.
                        Thanks.

Comment

Bill,

To get a better picture, we will need your trace file. I would also like to review your CQG trace file.

Could you please send a note to Support [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com with a link to this forum thread.

You will find these files in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder.

The files that I will need are named 'trace.20111201.txt' & 'CQG.20111201.txt

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Tim-c, Today, 03:54 AM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post Tim-c
                          by Tim-c

Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM
                          0 responses