Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strategy that refuses to die

Hi,

I had a strategy I deleted quite awhile ago but it refuses to die. It remains in the available list of strategies when I right click on the strategies tab to add a new strategy.

If I write and compile a new strategy with the same name (which the wizard lets me do because the strategy does not exist) I see the name in the list with the new parameter (MyInput0). If I then delete the strategy using the editor delete option the original strategy reappears complete with its parameter list and default values.

Although I am sure there is a great explanation for this, personally I consider it a bug. If I delete a strategy, it should stay deleted.

I am uncomfortable about this in that it makes me wonder what else is hanging around I don't know about. Any suggestions?

Best Regards,
    Scott

ScottB,

Did you ever rename this strategy to something else manually? It will keep the name of its original self inside even a renamed .cs file.

I would recommend double checking the strategy .cs files in your My Documents / NinjaTrader 7 / bin / custom / strategy directory.
    Adam P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Adam, thanks for the suggestion. Anything is possible, I write a lot of strategies from a template and that may be the issue.

What is the best approach to recitifying the situation?

Best Regards,
      Scott

Comment

ScottB,

Unfortunately I'm not sure of a quick resolution if that is the case. You will need to check all of your custom strategies from the bin/custom/strategies folder and ensure that their file name matches the public class name from the code.
        MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Matthew, that would seem not to be the case simply because I can add a new strategy with that name via the wizard. It would seem to me I would not be able to do that if that name already existed (I do know I can't add one twice under normal circumstances).

When the phantom strategy reappears, it is complete with the old parameter set even after I have compiled a new strategy with the same name and a completely different parameter set and then deleted the second (new) one leaving nothing in the bin directory under that name.

Best Regards,
          Scott

Comment

Hello,

Most likely it is returning from a .DLL file or something like that in this case.

I would be willing to do a quick remote to see where it is remaining if you would like.

Email into support at ninjatrader dot com and reference this post and we will send instructions to do remote.

I look forward to assisting you further.

Comment

Brett, thanks good call. That was the issue; I found a dll that was the culprit and when I moved it to a code backup directory, the strategy I was working on suddenly wouldn't compile - metadata file ... couldn't be found.

Once I right clicked on the open strategy code and removed the reference all was good. I guess even though no strategy actually referenced the dll, the fact that it was in the references was enough to have it show up in the strategy list.

Best Regards,
              Scott
              Last edited by ScottB; 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Brevo, Today, 01:45 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Brevo
              by Brevo

Started by aussugardefender, Today, 01:07 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes