Back Data--from Tradestation???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back Data--from Tradestation???

The idea of free (and high quality) charts is pretty amazing, but the issue of where to get back data (which is of good quality) is the problem.

Some time ago there was some discussion on the TradersLab forum about the possibility of getting back data from Tradestation to work on Ninja. Is there any truth to this?

Tradestation is listed as a data source when you're setting up Ninja, but I seem to recall that TS doesn't give out its data.

I'd be grateful if someone could explain this for me. Two-part question:

Can I power Ninjatrader with Tradestation? If so, can I get both current and back data?

Thanks, Taz

Hi Taz,

Thank you for your post.

You can hook up NinjaTrader to Tradestation for papertrading with their data. You can also import their historical data.

I've included links for you from our Help Guide that should get you started:

Tradestation set up link:
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/su...adeStation.htm

Importing historical data:

Vince
    Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Vincent View Post
      You can hook up NinjaTrader to Tradestation for papertrading with their data. You can also import their historical data.
      Thanks, Vince. Unfortunately, my euphoria evaporated pretty quickly when I realized that I would have to log in to Tradestation to get their data. The way TS works, they won't let you use their program on two computers without paying them twice. My aim was to put TS on one computer and Ninja on a different computer, but that means I would get charged twice by Tradestation, and I object to paying them ONE monthly fee, so paying them TWO is out of the question. Oh well, it was a nice try.

Comment

We do support other market data vendors including DNTiQ, eSignal and OpenTick which is a free service.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
          We do support other market data vendors including DNTiQ, eSignal and OpenTick which is a free service.
          Ray, thanks for your reply. OpenTick's website states:

"free real-time and historical market data for trading systems and trading platforms.*
          over ten terabytes of historical tick data for free."

I'm having a hard time getting my head around that one. How in the world do they offer free data, when other companies are charging a hundred dollars a month or more for this sort of data??? There HAS to be a catch. So, please explain---what's the catch? Not good data? Not reliable?

Maybe I should start a new thread inquiring about this seemingly unbelievable offer from OpenTick.

Thanks for the heads up, but color me profoundly sceptical !!

Taz

Comment

The data is free. If you want real-time data though, then you will be charged nominal exchange fees.
            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

For the most part the service and the data is adequate. There are many users of OpenTick in our forum. They do have occasional data spikes and outages but that is what you get for free.
              RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ray View Post
                For the most part the service and the data is adequate. There are many users of OpenTick in our forum. They do have occasional data spikes and outages but that is what you get for free.
                Thanks, Ray and Josh,
                I'm actually going to give them a try. My main goal is to use Ninja for Market Profile, which may be somewhat more immune to bad ticks than something like a bar chart, where a bad tick can stand out like a sore thumb.

No doubt I'll have some sort of problem getting set up, so I'll query back when I need assistance. Many thanks, Taz

p.s. Are there setup files available for using Ninjatrader with OpenTick? If so, could someone send me the link? Tx.

Comment

Hi Taz,

all you have to do is to go to the control center->tools->account connections
                  and add one for for opentick.

Cheers

Comment

Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Segwin, 05-07-2018, 02:15 PM
                    10 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post Leafcutter