Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Editing Contract months

Hi there,

One more important question from my side concerning the editing of contract months within the instrument editor:

We are trading 10 and 3Y Aussie bonds (XT & YT). Both had too many contract months(32) defined by ourselves. From Kinetick we have learned that XT and YT data is just available for the current contract (March 12) and the last contract (December 11). So we deleted all the contract months defined before to get a working charts with just the last two contract months.

And now to our problem: When we try to create the two charts we get the error message: Error on loading Chart data for "XT 3-11 Asx": Unable to load historical data: unknown instrument. Makes absolutely sence because there is no Kinetick data available for contract March 11. But it should not have been loaded, because we had deleted it before. By going into the instrument manager we had again all 32 months. For some reason the deleting was not saved or whatever, looks like a bug too me.

Can anyone at NT explain too me, how I can quarantee that changes in the instrument manager are kept and saved, because otherwise we run into big problems...

Peter

Can you please clarify how many days of historical data you have set to load in the chart?

What do you have your merge policy set to under Tools--> Options--> Data tab?

Is this error received on daily, minute or tick data?
    MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Days to load: 365
      Daily data
      Merge policy: MergeBackAdjusted

Comment

If you are requesting 365 days of data, the merge policy will reach out to the contracts defined that far back. You cannot change or edit the contract months defined.

You can either opt to load a continuous contract from Kinetick by the futures symbol XT ##-## which should load Daily data back to October.

Or alternatively, you can disable the merge policy for this particular contract. You can do this by going to Tools--> Instrument Manager--> locate the XT symbol and select "Edit". From the Instrument Editor, set the merge policy to "DoNotMerge" and then press OK.

With the merge policy disabled, it will only load data back to the date provided by Kinetick and will not attempt to load the previous contracts such as 03-11 as reported.

Comment

Disabling the merge policy is no option, because I have then only data for the current futures contract (March 12) in my chart.

What I did now is load the chart data based on customs range, so that I just load the data as far back as the two available contracts provide data. Does that make sense? At least it seems to work now. Does that information already get saved for the charts, when I close the workspace? I have such a big number of charts that I cannot always recreate all the charts once again..

Comment

Hello,

Yes creating a custom range would be a solution as well. As long as you have saved the workspace, it should retain the custom range you have created.

Comment

Matthew,

Before I am satisfied I need to understand the NT concept of changing or editing the contract months defined:
              - Does that mean, that for a predefined instrument those settings are kind of fixed. Why is that the case?
              - So if I would like change the settings for XT und YT for some reason (just an assumption) I would have to define two completely new instruments with different names and different contract months. Is that correct?

Thx, Peter

Comment

This information is automatically downloaded from the NinjaTrader server whenever you are connected to your live data feed

You can change the settings such as the date and the offset, however you cannot remove the contract months that are defined.

If you want to be able to define your own custom contract months, you would need to create a new symbol with a different master instrument name.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by cls71, Today, 04:45 AM
                0 responses
                1 view
                0 likes
                Last Post cls71
                by cls71

Started by mjairg, 07-20-2023, 11:57 PM