Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Easy way to crash NinjaTrader - can you fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy way to crash NinjaTrader - can you fix?

This has been happening for a long time across multiple versions of NT. It can easily happen when you are trying to move charts around, and causes an unrecoverable crash in NinjaTrader.

To crash the program, do the following:

1. Open a chart.
    2. Grab the top edge of the chart and drag it quickly down to the bottom, effectively compressing the chart to a very thin horizontal bar.

Ninjatrader starts trying to do some kind of calculations, and ends up spinning in an endless loop forever. After 10 minutes, I always just have to shut down the program and lose whatever work wasn't saved.

This can happen fairly easily when moving charts around, since you have to drag them by the title bar, and it is easy to grab the top edge by mistake and end up "squishing" the chart down like this instead of moving it.

Can you please investigate and correct this issue?

Hi Trader_55,

Thanks for your post.

I'm not able to recreate the behavior it seems. Are any other steps required that you can think of?

Are you able to cause the same issue to occur in a new workspace (File > Workspaces > New Workspace)?

Which build of NInjaTrader are you running? (Help > About)
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

It has happened on multiple workspaces on multiple computers, generally it's a Windows 7 installation. I think that you may have to add a few indicators on the chart... perhaps that is what it is trying to re-calculate somehow?

I just tried it on an empty workspace with a single chart, and it did crash... the chart does have a few indicators on it, and I made it look back for 5 days of data. Then I tried it again with some other indicators and also with an empty chart, and it didn't crash. So I guess it probably has to do with one of the particular indicators that I have, which may be somehow triggered by chart re-sizing... I don't have the time to track it down now, but maybe I will in the future. In any case, does NT automatically do some kind of indicator recalculation when the chart is resized?

Comment

Hi Trader_55,

When a window is resized, NinjaTrader would run through some calculations related to the scale of the visual display.
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
          Hi Trader_55,

When a window is resized, NinjaTrader would run through some calculations related to the scale of the visual display.
          Thanks - when I have more time I will try to track the problem down, and may report back to you...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by algospoke, Yesterday, 06:40 PM
          2 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post algospoke  
          Started by ghoul, Today, 06:02 PM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred