• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Daily Profit / loss question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Profit / loss question

I’m working on a strategy that has a daily profit target and daily loss but I can’t get it to work when I back test it. it works fine when I live sim trade it. When I back test it, it makes the profit target but then stops trading for the rest of the year

here is the code
    if (Position.MarketPosition == MarketPosition.Flat) // Only calculate when position is flat
    {
    if (Bars.FirstBarOfSession)
    {
    cumprofit = Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency.C umProfit; // Calculate the cumprofit all strategy days
    todaysPL = Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency.C umProfit - cumprofit; // Reset todays P&L
    PrintWithTimeStamp("FirstBarOfSession!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!");
    }

// Calculate todays P&L
    if (todaysPL != Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency.C umProfit - cumprofit)
    {
    todaysPL = Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency.C umProfit - cumprofit;

}

// Halts strategy when todays P&L exceeds limits

if (Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency. CumProfit - cumprofit >= maxprofit
    || Performance.AllTrades.TradesPerformance.Currency.C umProfit - cumprofit <= -maxloss)

{

strategyHalt = true;
    return;
    }

}

Any ideas or can anyone point me in a direction?
    Last edited by EvilHog; 02-15-2012, 06:05 PM.

EvilHog, it sounds then like your reset point for the historical daily calcs of stop / target is not correctly met in backtesting, I would suggest printing the values of your cumprofit and todaysPL variables to see where the values report differently as you expect and then modify as needed.

Here's also a reference sample dealing with the same topics - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=4084
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by hir04068, Today, 06:58 AM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Jim  
    Started by aprendiz, Today, 07:25 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes