• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

I cannot find Point and Figure chart Style

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I cannot find Point and Figure chart Style

    Hi,
    I have read on the NT website that new chart styles have been added to the new release 7.0.1000.9.
    This is the text you can find here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/ninjatrader7-features

    "Additional styles such as Renko, Point and Figure, Kagi and Line Break.in the features of the new release".

    Problem: I have just updated my NT version to the new release 7.0.1000.9.but I cannot find the new styles.

    Can you help me to place a Point and Figure chart?

    Thank You.

    #2
    Hello BlackHawk,

    Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum.

    I have created a video demonstrating how to create a point and figure chart. You may view this video at the following link: http://screencast.com/t/OowxJy262

    Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
    Patrick H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

    Comment


      #3
      Thank you Patrick, your video solved my problem.

      Comment


        #4
        A few questions about Point & Figure

        Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
        Hello BlackHawk,

        Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum.

        I have created a video demonstrating how to create a point and figure chart. You may view this video at the following link: http://screencast.com/t/OowxJy262

        Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
        I am using this thread as I donīt find any other related thread that covers the subject like the one I want to bring to your attention.

        Why - as shown in the chart fro M6E 03-13 - does it paint Xīs like this?


        It is a 10 x3-Box-Reversal and so it should not start a new columm unless we get 3 Xīs or Oīs as a reversal. Unfortunately, it does not stick to the rule as can be seen in this chart. Furthermore, it paints 2 X-Columms next to each other. I wonder why?

        Just to show the contrast on NQ 3-13 - see chart - because it does paint the Columms correctly in this instrument. I am using exactly the same configuration except the box size.

        Another question would be how (as mentioned on one post in this forum - but I canīt find it anymore -) can you draw 45-degree lines?

        I figured it out on my own with a rectangle that can be drawn first BUT It was said that: "double click on the line and then adjust to 45-degree" I really wonder how he came up with this because a) there is no such thing like 45-degree "button" and b) unless I draw a rectangle in the chart and adjust the line accordingly it seems not to be possible to get an 45-degree angle the way it was described in this former post.

        And last but not least: is it possible to get a squared grid on this point and figure chart. One can adjust the horizontal lines to fit the box size but with the vertical lines it seems there is no way to adjust them in order to get this squared grid.

        Any help or information on this questions would be highly appreciated.

        Thanks
        Mario
        Attached Files

        Comment


          #5
          Hello sanjaya,

          Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

          For the Point And Figure chart I am unable to re-create the same item as you have displayed on your chart.
          Please advise the following:
          • What is the Session Template being used? You can find this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series > check the Session Template setting.
          • What is the Box Size, Reversal and Price set to for the Point and Figure chart? You can check this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series.

          There are two ways we can draw a 45 degree line. With the example you gave (unfortunately I do not know which forum post you are referencing), you could draw a rectangle and then a line that started at the bottom left hand corner of the rectangle and ended at the top right hand corner of the rectangle.
          You could also draw a Gann Fan, the 1x1 line will be the 45 degree angle.

          I am not exactly sure what you are asking for the squared grid lines, but I believe you are looking for square grid lines not matter the period type and interval. You can adjust this by right clicking on the price listed on the right side of your chart > then select Properties > adjust the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type and the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type to the desired values > OK.

          I look forward to your response.
          Patrick H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
            Hello sanjaya,

            Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

            For the Point And Figure chart I am unable to re-create the same item as you have displayed on your chart.
            Please advise the following:
            • What is the Session Template being used? You can find this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series > check the Session Template setting.
            • What is the Box Size, Reversal and Price set to for the Point and Figure chart? You can check this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series.

            There are two ways we can draw a 45 degree line. With the example you gave (unfortunately I do not know which forum post you are referencing), you could draw a rectangle and then a line that started at the bottom left hand corner of the rectangle and ended at the top right hand corner of the rectangle.
            You could also draw a Gann Fan, the 1x1 line will be the 45 degree angle.

            I am not exactly sure what you are asking for the squared grid lines, but I believe you are looking for square grid lines not matter the period type and interval. You can adjust this by right clicking on the price listed on the right side of your chart > then select Properties > adjust the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type and the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type to the desired values > OK.

            I look forward to your response.
            Thank you Patrick for your reply.

            To answer your questions please see attachment.
            • What is the Session Template being used? You can find this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series > check the Session Template setting.
            • What is the Box Size, Reversal and Price set to for the Point and Figure chart? You can check this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series.

            Squared Grid: Please lower part of attachment.

            Hope this shines more light to this "subject"
            Attached Files

            Comment


              #7
              Hello sanjaya,

              Thank you for your response.

              The reason we are seeing these Xs or Os next to one another is because the session has ended. You can see this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series > set the 'Plot session break line' property to True > OK. You can now see Session Break Lines through the columns before the repeated Xs or Os.

              For the Grid Line > right click on the Price on the right side of your Chart > select Properties > change the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type to Ticks and the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Value to 10 > OK.

              Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
              Patrick H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                Hello sanjaya,

                Thank you for your response.

                The reason we are seeing these Xs or Os next to one another is because the session has ended. You can see this by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series > set the 'Plot session break line' property to True > OK. You can now see Session Break Lines through the columns before the repeated Xs or Os.

                For the Grid Line > right click on the Price on the right side of your Chart > select Properties > change the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type to Ticks and the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Value to 10 > OK.

                Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
                Thanks Patrick,

                I agree, YES the session has ended but how can it be fixed especially as you can see in the chart - I did sent this one at the beginning of this conversation - on the right where I use exactly the same settings (except the box size) including the same default session template 24/7 for the instrument (NQ) where these "session breaks" with the columms do NOT happen. I made the session break lines visible to double check this circumstance.So, I wonder why is it fine on NQ but not on M6E ?

                What options do I have to fix this?
                The defaut 24/7 template should work fine as there should be no breaks in between, or am I mistaken about that?


                Concerning the matter with the Grid where you advise :
                For the Grid Line > right click on the Price on the right side of your Chart > select Properties > change the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type to Ticks and the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Value to 10 >

                Well, maybe there is a misunderstanding as I asked you in my first post about vertical lines: I wrote: And last but not least: is it possible to get a squared grid on this point and figure chart. One can adjust the horizontal lines to fit the box size but with the vertical lines it seems there is no way to adjust them in order to get this squared grid.

                Sorry for being so insistent about the subject but I either I forget about Point & Figure part with Ninja Trader 7 or I have this one worked out, especially as it works in one instrument but not in the other. Strange enough as both are almost 24 hour markets.

                Please let me know how to fix this problem with the session breaks if there is a solution to this in Ninja Trader.

                Please see the attached chart.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by sanjaya; 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hello sanjaya,

                  Thank you for your response.

                  Are you using the Default 24/7 template on both the M6E and the NQ?
                  Please be specific as the <Use instrument settings> would not be the same as the Default 24/7 template unless you have preset this in the Instrument Manager, please advise if so.
                  I am able to see X columns next to each other and O columns next to each other with the Default 24/7 template on both instruments.

                  You are correct that the Vertical Grid Lines could not be adjusted as you wish. To adjust the Horizontal Grid Lines to the Box size please right click on the price on the right side of the chart > then select Properties > set the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type to Ticks and set the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Value to the same amount as the Box Size > OK.
                  Patrick H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                    Hello sanjaya,

                    Thank you for your response.

                    Are you using the Default 24/7 template on both the M6E and the NQ?

                    YES, I do use the same on both.


                    Please be specific as the <Use instrument settings> would not be the same as the Default 24/7 template unless you have preset this in the Instrument Manager, please advise if so. I am able to see X columns next to each other and O columns next to each other with the Default 24/7 template on both instruments.

                    Please attachment after adjusting to default template 24/7


                    You are correct that the Vertical Grid Lines could not be adjusted as you wish. To adjust the Horizontal Grid Lines to the Box size please right click on the price on the right side of the chart > then select Properties > set the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Type to Ticks and set the Horizontal Grid Lines Interval Value to the same amount as the Box Size > OK.
                    Thanks Patrick for your reply.
                    unfortunately, it doesnīt seem to work here on my station.

                    YES, I do use the same on both. It seems that if fixed a few boxes on NQ but not on M6E.Please attachment after "renewed" adjusting to default template 24/7.

                    Looking forward to a solution.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hello sanjaya,

                      Thank you for your response.

                      The reason we are seeing any X column next to another X column is because the session has ended, this includes any O column next to another O column.

                      There can never be two columns of X's or O's next to each other for a given session
                      - Taken from Bar Types > Understanding Point and Figure bars at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../bar_types.htm

                      You can see the session has ended when the columns repeat either an O or X column by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series > set the 'Plot session break line' property to True > OK. You can now see Session Break Lines through the columns before the repeated X or O columns.

                      Please let me know if you have any questions.
                      Patrick H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                        Hello sanjaya,

                        Thank you for your response.

                        The reason we are seeing any X column next to another X column is because the session has ended, this includes any O column next to another O column.


                        - Taken from Bar Types > Understanding Point and Figure bars at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../bar_types.htm

                        You can see the session has ended when the columns repeat either an O or X column by right clicking in your chart > select Data Series > set the 'Plot session break line' property to True > OK. You can now see Session Break Lines through the columns before the repeated X or O columns.

                        Please let me know if you have any questions.
                        Sorry, but your answer is simply an insult to my question.

                        I know that there should never be two X-colums or O-colums next to each other.

                        That is exactly the problem here. That is the reason I asked for a solution. I do not care if the session has ended or not. To plot a decent P&F chart the problems we tried to " discuss" should simply not occur in a professional chart. PERIOD !

                        It would simply be better and more honest to say: "We donīt have a solution to this instead you make me look like an idiot.

                        Why donīt you upload your chart to show and prove that you donīt have this bugs in there?

                        Thanks and have a nice day.
                        No more answer needed unless you show your correct chart.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          sanjaya

                          Sorry for any confusion or frustration, but I can assure that Patrick did not intend to insult you with his answer.

                          The reason he has not posted a solution is because this is how our charts are designed: They will reset at the beginning of each session.

                          The only workaround I have for you is to use a session template that spans a week (starts on sunday, ends on friday). However, you will still find that the chart will reset at this session and will not completely resolve what you're trying to correct.

                          We have had some feedback from users and we understand that this is not ideal for all traders. We are looking at addressing this in the next major release of NinjaTrader. However I do not have an ETA or confirmation on when this will be addressed.

                          Please let me know if you have any further questions on these items.
                          MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

                          Comment


                            #14
                            point &amp; Figure

                            What is the short cut to change the chart to Point & Figure. i.e. by typing 4R my chart changes to 4 bar range. What is the abbreviation for a Point and Figure Chart?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Hi,

                              Welcome to our forums.

                              There is not currently a way to switch to PnF charts with a short cut. You will have to select this from the data series manually.
                              MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

                              Comment

                              Latest Posts

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by TazoTodua, Today, 01:26 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post TazoTodua  
                              Started by TazoTodua, Today, 01:21 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post TazoTodua  
                              Started by TikDaddy, Yesterday, 02:08 PM
                              3 responses
                              11 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post TikDaddy  
                              Started by Brillo, Yesterday, 01:52 PM
                              1 response
                              16 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Jim  
                              Started by TazoTodua, 02-09-2018, 08:40 AM
                              10 responses
                              884 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_JoshG  
                              Working...
                              X