recommended computer brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recommended computer brand

Hi, i am getting a new laptop & wanted to get feedback.
    I am choosing between an Asus and HP.
    I am leaning towards Asus right now, b/c i haven't heard good things about HP. I'm not sure if they were having trouble with running ninja trader on HP, or if it was just issues with the computer in general. Overall the one i'm looking at gets really good reviews, so it there is not an isolated issue with Ninja trader on this brand, then it would make my decision a little bit harder.

thanks

Hello maggiej12,
    Thanks for writing in and I am happy to assist you.

We do not have any recommendation for any particular brand of laptop. However please do ensure that the particular brand do meets our minimum system requirements http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...quirements.htm

I leave the thread open for community members so that they could share their experience regarding a particular brand of laptop.

Please let me know if I can assist you any further.
    JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Can you post the link you found where the problem is for HP?

I have an dv6775us HP laptop from 2008. NT runs fine.

I'm eyeing one of those desktop processor stuffed in a laptop for my next purchase.

They start around $4k.

Originally posted by maggiej12 View Post
      I am leaning towards Asus right now, b/c i haven't heard good things about HP. I'm not sure if they were having trouble with running ninja trader on HP, or if it was just issues with the computer in general. Overall the one i'm looking at gets really good reviews, so it there is not an isolated issue with Ninja trader on this brand, then it would make my decision a little bit harder.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by maggiej12 View Post

thanks
        Almost every modern laptop has a wireless networking chip. When you get to the store, make them setup and connect to their router, so you can be sure that it can connect This is especially important if the wireless chip is a Broadcom, as that is the one that has always given me the most trouble.

In fact, in my current laptop, connectivity was so dodgy that I went out and bought an external USB Wireless-N adapter, just so that I can connect reliably to my router. Of course, if you are going to be using a wired connection ALWAYS, then the point is moot.

Here is some Google Fu on the matter: https://www.google.com/webhp?q=broad...w=1267&bih=935

Comment

PC Reliabilty

My automated strategy trades 24/7 and I'm having trouble with my PC rebooting. I'm in the process of turning off any updates I can find to reduce it. In addition, where I live out in the country, we get power and internet interruptions regularly. So my real question is about what hardware approaches people are using.

I'm questioning my use of a home pc at all. I'm considering leasing a server for $200 per month so I can be absolute sure my platform has power, internet, and 24/7 operation. In addition, I would get remote access from any windows PC or laptop.

As my number of contracts expands, system reliability becomes ever more critical.

Any advice on your hardware set ups would be appreciated.

Thanks,
          Jim

Comment

Hello Jim,
            Thanks for writing in and I am happy to assist you.

For any VPS solutions you can contact our 3rd party partner http://www.speedytradingservers.com

Please let me know if I can assist you any further.
            JoydeepNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by JRagsdale View Post
              My automated strategy trades 24/7 and I'm having trouble with my PC rebooting. I'm in the process of turning off any updates I can find to reduce it. In addition, where I live out in the country, we get power and internet interruptions regularly. So my real question is about what hardware approaches people are using.

I'm questioning my use of a home pc at all. I'm considering leasing a server for $200 per month so I can be absolute sure my platform has power, internet, and 24/7 operation. In addition, I would get remote access from any windows PC or laptop.

As my number of contracts expands, system reliability becomes ever more critical.

Any advice on your hardware set ups would be appreciated.

Thanks,
              Jim

Careful!! You still need internet access to connect to the VPS.

If you have good 3G or 4G connectivity, that might be one way to go. I have found that the cell phone networks seem to stay up a whole lot more reliably.

Of course, that means that you either have to get a phone you can tether to, or else get a dedicated cell broadband router device, whether standalone or USB.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by mjairg, 07-20-2023, 11:57 PM
              3 responses
              1 like
              Last Post PaulMohn  
              Started by TheWhiteDragon, 01-21-2019, 12:44 PM
              4 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post PaulMohn