How do I rename an instrument list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jtrade,

I have been using that unsupported technique for some time. It is the only practical way I know to deal with large numbers of symbols. (I use it for cumulative lists of new highs.)

It usually works well, but can be puzzling when it does not. For example, I spent some time tonight trying to understand why certain symbols that I had clearly edited in instruments.txt did not make it onto the list in NT -- it turned out that each of them also does not chart, but also gives no error. If I try to chart a random symbol (asdf), I get an error message, but if I give one of the mystery symbols I get no error and a blank chart.

The symbols are all valid -- I got them off a new highs list and they do chart elsewhere. The first few are AEH, ALLT, ATR, BAP, CNSL, DPZ, FBHS ... I gave up double-checking after that. I guess I'll have to contact support and ask what is going on with them.

But the main point for this message is that I spent considerable time isolating why certain symbols were getting ignored --- it had the effect of making the system look unreliable.

--EV

Comment

Thanks very much for the response, EV.

Having considered the possibilities, I have decided to enter the list manually every Sunday evening - typically around 200 stocks - but many stay on the list for several weeks at a time.

These are Ric Miller's weekly TSM picks (I like his statistical approach) : http://www.triplescreenmethod.com/TSMNew/TSMwpPicks.asp which I am using as the basis for further trading using Ric's variation of the RSI (2) pullback entry :

Stock > 200SMA
      Pullback RSI(2) <15 for 2 consecutive days, buy next day Open
      Exit half position on Close when RIS(2) >80
      Trail balance

If interested you can find some interesting backtests via his site which include 2008.

J.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Pattontje, Yesterday, 02:10 PM
      2 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Pattontje  
      Started by abdo22, Yesterday, 03:15 PM
      3 responses
      0 likes