How do I rename an instrument list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I rename an instrument list?

I use Add Instrument List a lot with MA. I'd like to rename the instrument list to be more convenient -- how do I do that?

If it is not possible, what is the best way to get a new list with the same symbols?

Thanks,
    EV

EV, there would be unfortunately no option to rename your list in the Instrument Manager. Do you still work with the custom instrument.txt changing we discussed some time ago to sync in new instrument lists we would not support per default? You could rename the list to be created here and then reset instruments...
    BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I do have some big lists there. The ones in question right now, though, are ones I update daily using File | Utilities | Import Stock Symbol List.

Is there any place I can just cut&paste the content of the list (so I can use it to create a new one)?

Comment

Thanks EV, unfortunately those custom lists are stored in the database and there be no direct copy and paste access to their contents.

Comment

And I have notice no multiple select in the in the instrument manager as well.

Another question in the same area -- it seems very hard to prune lists in the MA. I update and reload several of my instrument lists each day. Then I load each one into its own MA. The purpose is to rank the stocks. I inevitably find some I do not want, so I'd like to prune them.

That means I need to remove them from both the MA and the instrument list. Is there any easy way to do so? I'd really like the MA to be a window onto the instrument list, and when I remove from the MA it also removes from the instrument list, but I understand that is not your model. Absent that, all I see is to remove one from the MA (you don't support multiple selection ... grrrr) and then from the instrument list -- which I have to take down and bring back up for each stock (the dialog is modal ... grrrr). Is there a better way?

I'm thinking that I should bite the bullet, just brute force move my lists over to instrument.txt, and forget about the instrument manager -- its just too much of a pain to deal with. I sure hope you can show me I am wrong.

Thanks,
          EV

Comment

EV, thanks for the feedback - yes for now it unfortunately seems you would be better working directly through instruments.txt modifications - we have though logged these items as feature requests for future consideration in our product management lists (#19) - this would include saving / updating lists from inside the MA window.

Comment

Thanks, Bertrand. I have moved the lists to instrument.txt and will move on from there.

If I get busy with Visual Studio, is it possible to write an MA replacement, or does doing that job right require knowledge I do not have access to?

Thanks,
              EV

Comment

EV, that should be possible but would definitely require some advanced coding in VS.

Comment

Not for nothing, couldn't you open the database file in SQL Server Management Studio that comes with SQL express? I tried this and I'm able to at least browse the database.

Comment

Hi, Bertrand - I searched "instrument.txt" to see what had been discussed, but only found this thread...

I want to place a list of approx 200 US equities in an MA window every Monday. The list changes slightly every week. I presume I can make a MA template, so that component is only done once.

Could you please describe the sequence to paste my list into a text file such that I can import the updated list every Monday into MA ie. without having to enter each stock manualy?

J.

Comment

jtrade, this would not be something I can officially support - the Instruments.txt file is located in the Program Files folder for NT7 under the DB entry, there is a section dealing with instrument lists, you can update those as needed with your custom lists and then reimport via Tools > Options > Data so these would be synched in.

However please note the disclaimer given for this technique...

Thanks,

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Bertrand : I will chck this out.

Whilst writing... one of my filters is a simple "price must be avove the 200 SMA"; however, I see if I add a 200 SMA to the MA columns, the alert criteria only specify being at, above or below a value, rather than price. How do I do this, please (or should I start a separate thread ?) ?

Comment

I think we discussed this before already jtrade - for such a type of alert you would need to custom code or create a strategy with our wizard that would monitor for this condition.

Comment

Custom coding for such a basic filter... OK, I won't say it
                            Thanks again for your prompt responses, Bertrand.

Comment

You're welcome and I can understand - the request to create more advanced filters is already on our product management enhancement list and running under #210.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post philmg
                              by philmg

Started by cre8able, Today, 01:01 PM
                              1 response