Is it possible to overlay a chart template on top of S&R lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to overlay a chart template on top of S&R lines

To put my own support and resistance lines on a chart at key pivot areas I need a clean chart which just shows candles or bars. I use the drawing tool horizontal line to mark these levels having removed my ema's bollinger bands etc to better visualise things. The problem of course is when I try to overlay my chart template over this chart it removes the S&R lines that I have just put on.

Q. Does anyone know a way to get around this problem?

Thanks

Unfortunately this is not possible. You would need to load the template, then draw the lines.
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Since loading a template obliterates anything (other than candles or bars) that was already on the chart, you cannot do it in this order.

Here's a design idea...

It's possible to create a specialized indicator that draws the support and resistance lines at positions determined by values found in a text file that gets read by the indicator.

Then you could include the indicator as part of your overall template. To use it, you would first use Notepad to write a file containing the support and resistance values, and then you would just load the template.

There might be an advantage to doing this (over just doing as Ray suggested) if the indicator were tuned to be able to read the values from a particular email format, if you are receiving the pivots as part of a subscription service.

Comment

Hmm.. that text to indicator idea seems like a pretty good one.

However, on the outside chance that you needed the nearly bare chart (except for price bars of course) because you assess your own S/R from seeing areas of pivot confluence, etc. on the chart, then you are probably stuck doing it the manual way for now by stirpping down your regular chart, assessing your areas, posting the horizontal lines and then transferring each one by one to your fully loaded chart.

Frankly, if you save the stripped down workspace with the initial lines, you can use it day after day and save yourself time as you only then have to move the lines to the newly assessed areas and then transfer them. The real time hassle is spent in making the proper position asssessments anyway, not in the time it takes to transfer the individual lines to your fully loaded chart, even though that would make it pretty nifty.

I do think there is a 3rd party partner of NT called ATW that offers a proprietary indicator called the DPTL or something that does those types of S/R confluence line assessments automatically for you, but I don't know if that would meet your needs or not.

Happy Trading,
        Randy

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by suroot, 04-10-2017, 02:18 AM
        4 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post truepenny  
        Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
        1 response