Instrument is not supported by repository error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument is not supported by repository error

I'm trying to import Forex historical data into NT7 and got the above error messages, this is what I did:
    - moved My Documents folder to D, currently the path is D:\Backup\Ko\Invest\Tech Analysis\NinjaTrader\Historical Data\$EURUSD.ask.txt
    - created a main instrument list called Forex
    - created an instrument called EURUSD

When I tried to import a minute historical data, got the above error. What am I doing wrong?
    Here's the sample of my data file:
    20041025 000000;1.2736;1.2737;1.2731;1.2737;114
    20041025 000100;1.2736;1.274;1.2733;1.274;102
    20041025 000200;1.2739;1.2743;1.2732;1.2742;171

and I've renamed my file name according to the manual to $EURUSD.ask.txt

Here's my environment:
    - XP with SP3
    - NT 7 Version 7.0.1000.9 (simulation)
    - the data file is minute historical data, dated from 2004.10.25 to 2005.12.31 (is it OK to import several years at once or I have to do it year by year?)
    - at the time of import I was offline.

Please let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks

Hello michaelbr,

Thanks for writing in.

The only thing I see from your description which may be off is the file name.

Could you please rename the file '$EURUSD.Ask.txt' (as opposed to '$EURUSD.ask.txt') then try importing again?
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
      Hello michaelbr,

Thanks for writing in.

The only thing I see from your description which may be off is the file name.

Could you please rename the file '$EURUSD.Ask.txt' (as opposed to '$EURUSD.ask.txt') then try importing again?
      Thanks Kyle, that's it, this fixed the problem, but the error message is kind of weird.

I got another problem not related to this issue. When I tried to import the historical data, the volume sometime is not integer and the import process stop at the line when it's not integer. It would be nice if the import process could have an option to round the non-integer number.

Thanks

Comment

Hello michaelbr,

I'm happy to hear that the modification in file name allowed this import to take place.

I didn't quite follow this secondary issue, can you provide an example for me?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
          Hello michaelbr,

I'm happy to hear that the modification in file name allowed this import to take place.

I didn't quite follow this secondary issue, can you provide an example for me?
          I got the following error after starting to import historical data:
          3/16/2012 5:03:07 PM|3|4|$EURUSD: Format error in line 3035341: Input string was not in a correct format.: '20111009 210000;1.33865;1.3388;1.33843;1.33843;15.77'
          then I went to my historical data file, and indeed the line showed
          20111009 210000;1.33865;1.3388;1.33843;1.33843;15.77
          the last number should be volume and should be integer, the fraction number probably occurred during the export process of the historical data, the problem is during the import process, NT7 does not give us an option to round the volume data to integer (it seems sometime this problem occurs during the export process, ie, the volume is not integer). Hope this clarifies the problem I had.

Comment

Hello michaelbr,

Thank you for clarifying.

Unfortunately you can only import data in the proper format. There is no way to convert the fractional value to an integer. You will need to do this yourself before you import the data in NinjaTrader.

Perhaps you can avoid the faction value when data is exported?

I will forward your suggestion to support a function that will allow fractional values to be converted upon importing historical data manually.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
              Hello michaelbr,

Thank you for clarifying.

Unfortunately you can only import data in the proper format. There is no way to convert the fractional value to an integer. You will need to do this yourself before you import the data in NinjaTrader.

Perhaps you can avoid the faction value when data is exported?

I will forward your suggestion to support a function that will allow fractional values to be converted upon importing historical data manually.
              Thanks Jason for your reply, unfortunately that option is not available during the export process, actually it's not supposed to happen, there's no way to have fractional numbers in volume data, probably some glitch (I'm sure this should occur quite often), therefore this option, if available, should be on the import side. Thanks for posting the suggestion.

Comment

The suggestion has been added to the list of possible future enhancements and is assigned to ID# 1628.
                JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                  The suggestion has been added to the list of possible future enhancements and is assigned to ID# 1628.
                  Thanks Jason for the update. I was looking at the log file after the import, and found something weird, here's the message
                  3/21/2012 2:32:37 PM|2|4|$EURUSD: Volume in line 1 is invalid since it is <= 0. This line and subsequent invalid volume lines have been modified and replaced by a value of 1.
                  I was trying to import a minute historical data, therefore there's supposed to have 0 volumes (especially during the off transaction hours or the time when there's no trading), but it seems that the system does not accept 0 volume and update it to 1. I understand this if it is a tick or daily historical data, but for minute or second data, this is wrong (I think). Could you please let me know if this is an oversight or what's the logic behind it? I found it odd this hasn't been reported yet (since I'm new to this, I'm not sure if my reasoning is correct).

Thanks

Comment

Hello MichaelBr,

While I'm unable to comment on the logic behind this feature, I'll forward your feedback on this to our development staff for further consideration as a possible future change.

Comment

I have the following data in this format and am unable to import.

20120710 093059;13601;13608;13594;13603;5379100
                      20120710 093159;13603;13616;13601;136139;759900
                      20120710 093259;13615;13618;1361;13618;609000

Comment

Hello albazzaztariq,

Thanks for your post.

Please review the requirements for importing here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...?importing.htm

In the data that you posted, in the second line the value 136139, just before the volume appears to have an extra digit. If you correct the value, the 3 lines will import.

If this does not resolve the issue, please advise the error messages you are seeing, the fileame name you are using and the describe the process you are using.
                        Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Paul View Post
                          Hello albazzaztariq,

Thanks for your post.

Please review the requirements for importing here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...?importing.htm

In the data that you posted, in the second line the value 136139, just before the volume appears to have an extra digit. If you correct the value, the 3 lines will import.

If this does not resolve the issue, please advise the error messages you are seeing, the fileame name you are using and the describe the process you are using.
                          Thank you, I realize the data was the problem now.

Comment

Daily instrument import

Hello. Can't import data attached.
                            $MYINDONE.txt

Comment

Make sure you are following the exact file naming procedure. Example for Forex intstruments -
                              $EURUSD.Ask.txt

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...?importing.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by sidlercom80, 10-28-2023, 08:49 AM
                              168 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sidlercom80  
                              Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
                              3 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred